Okay guys, tight tree fall

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldsaw

"Been There, Milled That"
Reaction score
I went and checked out that cherry my buddy wants tipped in his back yard. Nice and straight for about 15 feet and about 18" dbh, then branches off into two 9-10" branches. The yard is fenced, and the tree is longer than any free space it has to fall. So, I need to top it just above the crotch. I think the best way I've come up with is to put a narrow notch the bottom of one of the branches about 1/3 of the way through, and cut the top slowly until it settles down to close the gap, then pull the branch down with a rope. Since the two of us weigh in northwards of 500 lbs combined, we could put some pretty good stress on the branch, and it would have plenty of space to fall. Then repeat on the other side.

The only other thing I can think of would be to sit in the "V" and cut out each branch, but I'm not too keen on that one.

Any suggestions?

Mark

oldsaw said:
...put a narrow notch the bottom of one of the branches about 1/3 of the way through, and cut the top slowly until it settles down to close the gap...

The only other thing I can think of would be to sit in the "V" and cut out each branch, but I'm not too keen on that one.

Do your branches seperately, but don't cut them slowly. Make your face accordingly, but make your backcut with authority, or (depending on the branch's angle) it'll want to split on ya. But I'm sure you knew that already. I'm just reitterating. Even a 9" branch splitting is unwanted. Take as much weight off the branches beforehand if possible. That'll make things more manageable. Don't pull it if you don't have to. Let it fall on it's own if you can. I'd not want to have a branch hanging on a closed face while I mess around below it with a rope all the while it's just the holding wood holding things together. Plus pulling on it with a hinge that hasn't let go is also asking it to split. And if the weight of the branch falling didn't crack the hinge, you'd be surprised at how much it'll hold. Then you've got to get back on it and take out more hinge or face, and with your face closed, it's hinge. Do you really want to climb back up there to nip at your holding wood until it pops? Keep it simple. How are you getting up there? Spurs? You're not gonna do it on a ladder are you?

And yeah, don't sit in the crotch. Bad move. That puts you aweful close to the cuts with no quick escape or way to get out of the way.

This is just my opinion on all of this based on what you've told us.:)

Last edited:
The crotch is 15 feet up. I'd have to use a ladder to reach it. The rope would be on the branch before the cut. Sorry I wasn't clear on that...I don't want to be anywhere near it when it falls, even though it isn't that big.

Unless I could rent a polesaw....not sure if there is one around to rent.

Mark

Assuming you don't have climbing gear, working off a ladder is hands down the most dangerous and stupid thing you can do!
Climbing up cutting a notch and back cut, then coming down and pulling the top over is something for the very experienced climbers with climbing gear, ropes, and plenty of know how. Then if you had those, you'd just climb up, top it out and come down.

My suggestion would be to get out the yellow pages and look for a insured licensed arborist to come out and put the tree on the ground. Ask for the a rock bottom price to get the tree on the ground or to a point you could drop it from the ground, no clean up. For a tree the size you are talking about it should be much cheaper than renting or buying the proper tools to get this done safely. Once its on the ground have at with your chainsaw collection.
Be careful. :)

I think I woud take down a large section of fence and then drop it.
More work but I think would be a lot safer.
Hospitals are getting expensive.

That's why the post. I wasn't keen on doing it, and didn't like the options. I don't want to cut off of a ladder for anything. Would be a perfect use for climbing gear, agreed. Passed over a set at a pawn shop not that long ago.

The branch is only 9", the trunk 18". Still big enough to hurt. Not sure how well he get's along with his neighbor, but I guess he can find out or get a tree service. The tree is balanced enough to control the fall fairly easily.

Thanks guys, case closed on this one.

Mark

Latest posts

Back