Old 066 cylinder crack

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AndyR

AndyR

ArboristSite Operative
Contact cheapstihlparts, Bryce, on eBay. He'll likely have what you need. One more thing. You cannot replace just half of the case. They are machined as a matching set. Bryce will likely sell you a case with a crank and good bearings.

Hmmm...that guy is hard to get in touch with. But then looking at all of the stuff he sells, I don't see how he could answer all of the queries he gets on parts.

Yes, I read in one of the good posts here that the case halves should match.
Thanks for the advice Brad (and everyone else too.)

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
Even if you try welding, you're going to have to split the case, and take out the bearings and crank.... so consider another case with bad bearings/crank. . most used 066 I've seen have crappy bearings anyhow..

Bowtie

Bowtie

Gearhead
Hmmm...that guy is hard to get in touch with. But then looking at all of the stuff he sells, I don't see how he could answer all of the queries he gets on parts.

Yes, I read in one of the good posts here that the case halves should match.
Thanks for the advice Brad (and everyone else too.)

cheapstihlparts IS hard to get ahold of, but be patient, hes legit as they come. I have ordered a few parts from him and he treated me awesome every time. I think he's just a busy man.

AndyR

AndyR

ArboristSite Operative
Ok, sounds good. I can be patient when I need to be.

There is one on ebay now (ends in 6 days).
http://cgi.ebay.com/good-used-crank...209079487QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item200209079487

I'm just afraid of buying a case and finding more stuff wrong with it. I suppose that's the advantage of buying from someone who knows what they are looking at and can accurately judge the condition of parts.

I don't want to become the central IL magnesium alloy scrap source...I got enough crap laying around here.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again.

AndyR

AndyR

ArboristSite Operative
Got it split but.....

Alright, I got the halves apart but my crank and bearing are stuck in the clutch half of the case. I don't know if I'm missing something but this SOB is stuck. I don't have an arbor press but I did have it rigged up in a big bench vise using blocks of wood to support the backside of the case and I was bearing down on it pretty good—the wood was denting in and I thought the whole thing was going to fly apart in my face.

I used the bar w/holes drilled for the crank and bar studs and that got the case apart for me, but it won't budge that bearing.

Any ideas? I'm uploading a pic of the bearing. The marks on the case around the bearing hole almost look like they could be for wedges or something. What are those little indentations? Could they be for a puller of some sort?

Thanks again,
I don't want to ruin this crank it seems pretty good.

AndyR:angry2:

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
It will be tight... Heat the case if you like, but you will need a press of some type. A vcie will work with the correct spacer. Support it with a piece of wood cut out a hole and make space for the rod

Push the crank though. The bearing may come with it. If so use a puller and bearing separator to get it off the crank.

Last edited:

Latest posts