Old cedar tree all of sudden browning all over.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have some old cedar trees one of them seems to have started browning very quickly in just a few weeks. Anything I can do to save it? Will this impact the other ones beside it? I'm in Columbia South Carolina. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_2240.jpeg
    11.9 MB · Views: 1
Has it warmed up considerably in your area in the last month? That tree probably died sometime this winter, and the warmer weather is revealing the vascular death.

You can wait a few more weeks for some greenup, but it looks like a goner to me. If the damage was due to winter-kill or other environmental factors, I'd expect to see a similar pattern on all the trees of that type.

Now as to why it died, that's an entirely different question. Take some good pictures of the trunk and root flare, a wide angle of the ground around the base, and some closeups of the foliage. Look around real close for any variations between the failing trees and the healthy ones right next to it.

By the way: your image is too large to display on the page. I copied it and resized:

1710295337511.png

Hey everyone, I have some old cedar trees one of them seems to have started browning very quickly in just a few weeks. Anything I can do to save it? Will this impact the other ones beside it? I'm in Columbia South Carolina. Thanks in advance
Maybe spider mites?
Looks like some browning on the trees next to it also?

Southern Red Mite and Spruce Spider Mite

See if you can get a local arborist to take a closer look at them.
It would be a shame to lose them.

You recently had a lot of lower limbs trimmed off those trees?
Is that a gardenia blooming?? :oops:

The pattern of damage on the plants in our single photo doesn't seem consistent with a canker disease, and not much with a mite, either.

I'd be looking for a cause of systemic death of some sort, especially on the lower trunk and ground level. It appears to have died all at once, and from the colors in the picture, the damage will have begun sooner than the life cycle of the cool weather mites starts.

In my experience, all the mite damage I have ever seen spreads somewhat unequally to all the plants found in a row, and I don't see that here. But then, I have no experience with the Southern Red mite, either.

Salt? Not, I think, without some matching damage to the adjacent plants. The color matches an "evergreen" dead from winterkill of some sort.

As to phytophthora, perhaps. I was thinking otherwise, but then my research found a lot of brown plants in the midst of totally green ones.
1710695265821.jpeg 1710695322972.png 1710695390343.jpeg

In the absence of more information from the OP, I'd say that was a decent guess.

"Symptoms/Damage
Diseased plants will commonly be found in heavy clay soils and poorly drained areas of the landscape. Affected plants will have reduced vigor and growth, yellowing of the leaves, then wilting, rapidly turning brown, resulting in death of the plant. Infected trees may decline slowly over a several year period or they may suddenly wilt and die rapidly after the first warm weather period. Some species of Phytophthora will attack above ground portions of plants such as branches of rhododendrons or tree trunks as in sudden oak death.

"You will need to examine the root tissue several inches below the soil line. Using a knife remove the outer bark tissue to expose the inner wood. A diagnostic reddish-brown discoloration of diseased tissue with a sharp line separating the healthy white tissue will be observed. With advanced infection most of the smaller roots will have black, dead tissue and often times an unpleasant smell."

If the original poster will return and do some more diagnostics with us, we could perhaps discuss potential treatments to save the rest of the plants.

Salt? Not, I think, without some matching damage to the adjacent plants. The color matches an "evergreen" dead from winterkill of some sort.
Altering cation exchange with the heavy application of road salts (especially some of the newer varieties) can have a dramatic effect on already weakend trees. Things like over pruning (the tree does seem to be dramatically lifted) can be a stressor.
It may be a single factor but more often multiple factors are in play by the time the homeowner sees decline.

There are a good number of recent-looking stubs, aren't there? I wouldn't call that excessive pruning, though. That tree does have more pruning wounds than we can see on the other available trunks, so you might have a good point.

In a crowded forest setting, I would expect all those trees to have self-pruned to a greater height than that. Of course, that clearly isn't where they are located.

Tough to call, and our OP Jason hasn't apparently been tracking this thread too closely. He hasn't been seen since Tuesday at 8:17 AM.

Back