Old Echo Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'day all,

Does anyone know the difference between an Echo 660EVL and an Echo 660ESP?

Hello,

There are two models, the 660 EVL and the 660 EVLP.
The operators manual (downloadable at the American Echo site) says that
the EVLP model is equipped with chainbrake (last page of the manual).
However the type number on the saws says only EVL. Never seen EVLP.
All my Echo saws have chainbrake but none of them has an EVLP tag, they all are named EVL.

Greetings from Holland

Jos.

Thanks Jos.

I've seen a photo of a Echo 660ESP for sale. Its looks almost identical to my Echo 660EVL. On top of the saw is what looks like a knob however I understand its a security key (ESP = Extra Security Protection??). I can find no reference to a 660ESP anywhere, not even the American website. Like your EVL saws mine also has a chain brake. If i've been successful there's some photos of the ESP enclosed

Regards from Australia

Jason

View attachment 107904

View attachment 107905

View attachment 107906

echo esp stands for Electronic Security Pin ,there is a different ignition module with two wires going to the pin (key) .i have converted two 550esp to standard by fitting 550evl module , works well. i also have a 660esp. echo state that esp is theft protection .ha ha, i have 30 echo saws

Probably a bit late to reply, but I just got one of these saws going. Using my multimeter I worked out the "security pin" has a diode inside, so I removed starter cover and unplugged wires going to the socket on the side of carby box, and plugged a silicon diode (1N5393, almost any would do) in instead, and I have a spark!
Pictures can be supplied if any one wants them posted.

Probably a bit late to reply, but I just got one of these saws going. Using my multimeter I worked out the "security pin" has a diode inside, so I removed starter cover and unplugged wires going to the socket on the side of carby box, and plugged a silicon diode (1N5393, almost any would do) in instead, and I have a spark!
Pictures can be supplied if any one wants them posted.
Pictures would be great if possible Fred. I have a 440ESP with no spark and want to see if this helps. Also, when I took the ignition module and all that maze of cables off, I might have put it back together incorrectly hence the photos lol
EDIT: Finally got it going. Had the diode you mentioned back to front. Sounds like a great little chainsaw after giving the carby a tune!

I have a echo I'm having trouble finding the modle it has a tag that has the bar size and chain part number for the 400 440 and 500 evl but all the ones I found have top oil and gas tank lids mines on the side

I have a echo I'm having trouble finding the modle it has a tag that has the bar size and chain part number for the 400 440 and 500 evl but all the ones I found have top oil and gas tank lids mines on the side
Your having trouble finding the ignition module on the unit or finding a replacement module? There are 2 parts to this which was a first to me. First there's the ignition coil and then there's also the CDI module. After you remove the recoil cover, the Ignition Coil sits on top of he plastic flywheel cover and then the lead goes to the spark plug. The CDI module is underneath the plastic flywheel cover. This is what mounts next to the flywheel like on a regular chainsaw and what everyone refers to as an ignition module. I have a 440ESP and no service manual but the service manuals I do have show the ignition module/CDI part number is 1566011453 for the CS-440EVL and EVLP. The ignition coil part number is 1566261523.

If you can upload a photo I'm sure someone here will tell you what model it is. Otherwise do a Google image search for a few of the models until you a see a picture of yours come up.

Just for the record so the information can remain on the website: there was an Echo CS-660ESP.
It was a very short-lived model and the only difference with an Echo CS-660EVL is it has an ignition key. I honestly don't know if Kioritz did this as an anti-theft deterrent or, more likely, to prevent teens from running it unauthorized (the ignition block can be bypassed) but it wasn't a particularly enlightened idea.
It was officially sold only in Australia but some units found their way around the world through the usual non official and semi official channels.

I am honestly surprised Honda hasn't tried to make this thing mandatory on lawnmowers and the like: it's the kind of thing they will lobby relentlessly for.

Some teens out there are more ready to run a saw than the adults I see--I was a teen back in the 1978--Dad bought a homelite xl --I was the new fire wood scrounger-find a tree down--stop-cut -load -stack . Mom even pitched in with the stacking--good times with a little top handle saw. I read the instructions and understood about kickback--no ppe--just be safe--Dad taught Industrial Arts to 7-8-9 graders for 35 years--he taught us how to be safe around all kinds of machines. -David-echo cs-302 x2 1 cs-590

Back