Old Growth Red Maples

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice trees and vids bud but those are nowhere near "old growth"

:monkey::newbie:

Your guna tell me a RED Maple (the shortest life span Maple) with a trunk diameter of over 17 1/2 feet isn't old growth...?! Than please someone help me so I can add years to my friends here :)

I think you meant circumference Pink floyd. Cheers

You didn't remove the fungus ....just the fruiting body. Fungus still inside there doing its dirty deeds (and there dun dirt cheap)

Tons of included bark causing injury in the co doms and the flare. Little to do to correct that.

In one exposed area looked like you could have gone a little further with the excavation and likely would have discovered a girdler.

Nice vid....keep it up

Last edited:
I think you meant circumference Pink floyd. Cheers

Let me correct myself in saying I did not graduate high school. I wrapped a tape measure around the outside of the tree and it takes over 17.5 feet in hugs to get around this giant. Is that Circumference I'll never get them straight I swear. Thanks man!

Old growth means that the land has never been logged, that the area has never been changed by man to any extent. So, it ain't old growth.

Old growth means that the land has never been logged, that the area has never been changed by man to any extent. So, it ain't old growth.

That's an old growth FOREST were talking about an old growth TREE. If there was nothing but copies of this tree then it would be an old growth area but the tree itself is more likely than not to have been here longer than the town itself was established in other words no people lived here. Please I'm not trying to argue here!

That's an old growth FOREST were talking about an old growth TREE. If there was nothing but copies of this tree then it would be an old growth area but the tree itself is more likely than not to have been here longer than the town itself was established in other words no people lived here. Please I'm not trying to argue here!

Ok with me. Tree was around first, good enough for the definition.

Ok with me. Tree was around first, good enough for the definition.

Lol its not "technically old growth I'm sure" but it saw the first men come into this town except for maybe an Indian taking a piss on it haha. The root flare is just massive and PERFECT all the way around probably flares out a good 5-8' around all sides.

Lol its not "technically old growth I'm sure" but it saw the first men come into this town except for maybe an Indian taking a piss on it haha. The root flare is just massive and PERFECT all the way around probably flares out a good 5-8' around all sides.

Rep added for being a good sport and I freakin love your av.

PeAcE indeed!

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back