Old Mac Help? Modifying another bar to fit?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UrbanLogger

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A week ago I asked about finding a bar for my Mac 380 (1963/64 model). Someone suggested I search, as there was an old post about modifing a bar from some other saw (maybe a large Homelite style mount) to fit. I searched and didn't find what I was looking for. Does anyone know anything about this? What brand/model saw should I get a bar for to modify? I'm looking to replace my worn 24" bar with a new 28" bar or maybe larger if I can find one. The saw uses .404 chain, and I did find a new sprocket and will replace it if I can find a new bar to keep the saw running. What models of Homelite used a homelite large mount style bar?
Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
I've used Stihl large mount bars. Have to make bushings to adapt the bar studs to the large stihl slot (I used drill bushings from McMaster Carr and also a piece of aluminum I drilled and ground to size), and redrill the oil holes (lay the old bar against the new one to figure this part out). Takes a bit of work but they do turn out nice.

One thing you have to think about when adapting bars, is to make sure the bar tail is big enough for the gear you're running. Too small and the chain will be unsupported for quite a distance approaching and leaving the sprocket. Makes you vulnerable to chain throws and such. That's why the Stihl large mount is near ideal. 090s are as big as they come so whatever is good for this saw is good for any other saw.

Chris B.

Where in the line of ????l Saws does the large mount bar start? The new stihl line offers .404 chain on MS650/660, and on the MS880. Which one do I use? Oregon's website doesn't list any bars for the 090 (they only list 090G)

Sorry If I keep asking dumb questions, I'm pulling hairs out here trying to find a bar to fit this saw. It starts and runs too well to shelf it!

Thanks again.

Large-mount Stihl: 050, 051, 075, 076, 084, 088, 070, 090, 090G, 08S, 07, Contra, etc... The only real difference here is for 090(G) and 070s, the oil hole is in a different spot. Also, the drive link count may vary. But for your purposes none of those differences are relevant.

Chris B.

Not to sound stupid or anything, but most of these older big mount stihl bars i'm finding say they are for 3/8 chain .063 guage. However they are har nose bars, will this also then run a .404 chain (as it has no nose sprocket)?

A hard nose bar that's meant for one certain chain? Interresting :D The only thing I can say is that it may possibly have a narrow nose, not able to use with unflexible .404" pitch chain... 3/8" pitch chain is very flexible.

I personally have a 44" bar (only 1 extra) for the following Homelites...

330,350,360,545,410,410sl,400,460,450,550,650,750,923,xl12,xl12s,xl-ao,xl400,xl925,vl955,superxl,auto,540,700,800,850,955,900,922,923,925.

I bought two of these and will use one on my C9 with gear drive "large Homelite mount". This bar has square holes for the bar adjusters, so many different saws will work and also has the bigger tail for the older sprockets. They are also sprocket nose .404" pitch .063" gauge. It is used, but is in great shape from what I can tell.

If you've got cash to burn, you can always email cannon bar or GB and have a custom bar made, but from what cannon told me, it pretty much doubles price of bar :dizzy: and they already charge up in the $200 + range for stock bars.

I'm sure your probably not looking for anything this big, but I've got it if you need it :D

Greg

I got a GB bar to put on my milling saw, it has
a large Stihl pattern but came with 2 pair of
adaptors that are pieces of coil spring.
I found a S shaped spacer on a 150 homelite
and another S shaped spacer on a 610 Mac.
I like them better, so I made an S shaped spacer
for the milling saw and a 710 Mac w/ Remington bar.
measure bar slot subtract mount stud dia then
divide by 2 this is the thickness of metal needed to
wrap around the studs in a S shape. simple and
stays in place when changing bars.
the GB bar that I got has a roller nose so it can use
3/8 or 404 chain 063 gauge. it is nice to have a
good bar that will fit more than one saw.

Latest posts

Back