Old Sears Roper, engine ID?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asand1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
OK, my brother brought me the saw and Ive started cleaning it up. Model # is 917.350710. Small aluminum engine tag reads T-1500 and 5485836. According to earlier posts by Fish and Dennis1960 prefix 917 indicates a Roper. Mike Acres lists the saw, with no additional information. The engine doesnt look like the Power Products/Tecumseh/Lauson engines that I've seen. Can anyone identify this engine?

Not the beehive head I've seen in pics.
searssaw2-1.jpg

Block-off plate in front of engine (for piston porting?).
searssaw3.jpg

Intake in bottom of crankcase.
searssaw5.jpg

searssaw4.jpg

searssaw6.jpg

searssaw7.jpg

searssaw9.jpg

Last edited:
I believe that you do have a Techumseh/Power Products engine. My Tecumseh 2-cycle manual lists the following information for the T-1500 model.

Bore - 2.093"
Stroke - 1.410"
Displacement - 4.8 cu.in. (78.7cc)
Point Gap - .017"
Timing - .135 btdc
Spark Plug Gap - 0.030"
Piston Ring End Gap - .006" to .011"
Piston Diameter - 2.0875"

It is a Tecumseh engine but it is not the usual AH-47, AH-58 and etc. I believe what you have is either a AH480 or a AH490 that the cylinder is part of the engine block and can not be removed. The cover you ask about is where the carb would bolt up if the engine had been used horizontally, like it was in the Sears D44 and other similar saws.

Thank you for the info, I could not find anything in regards those numbers. What would that make it then, as far as the AH- designations?

Edit, Just read Roanoker494's post. Thank you much.

Last edited:
Here is a picture of one of my dissassembled saws with a Lauson Power Products engine.

2.jpg

1.jpg

Update

Here's an update on this old saw. I havent looked at this saw in many months, but I've recently gotten the bug to tinker, and came up with an alternative to the NLA air filter parts. I have a carburetor inlet scavenged from an old Tecumseh lawn mower engine. and Ive found a K&N filter to fit, for under $20.00.
searsroper001.jpg

searsroper003.jpg

KN62-1370.jpg

Also found a carb kit for $6.00
49-239

IDK, I've looked around and not found the parts. If I was running this saw in the '70s I would have made this modification, and I see no reason not to do it now. No worries though, I will hang on to the original parts I do have.

Latest posts

Back