Old Stihl 041 Farm Boss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spoke to my local Stihl dealer and he stated this filter is obsolete. His suggestion was to go to eBay etc. to find a supplier. I purchased a kit of three and I am in the process of cutting off the locating pins. They are incorrectly located. I plan on putting some WD40 in the holes, inserting the cut-off pins in the holes, and crazy gluing the pins to the filter after placing the filter on the hold-down screw. I am going to do the same thing for the cover and thus modify the filter to match the locating holes. It appears the pattern for these filters was incorrectly designed and all suppliers use the same manufacturer. Maybe this fits a later 041 but not the one I have.

I called Stihl Tech Support. The part number I mentioned was correct according to their listing. I received three filters from eBay that did not fit as usual. My last 'fix' was to remove the four pegs and place the filter in position. At least the outside dimensions were correct. The cover fits on correctly and it held the filter in place. I returned the saw and the neighbor was happy. This is a 40-year-old saw and is built to last a long time. Most of today's saws have a large amount of plastic, this is all cast steel or aluminum. Well made but quite heavy.
Thanks for all the help from the members of this forum.

Regards,
PT81man

I like my 041 BECAUSE it it a heavy saw!! LOL!! It never kicks back or chatters like the light plastics do!!!!!!!!! MAY be a tad light on power for the weight, but hey I aint in no hurry!!

Back