Ol'e Husqvarna 55

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rchrist64

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I was out cutting up firewood the other day and my saw stopped dead in its tracks. Pulled it apart found scoring on the exhaust side of the piston. Got to looking for piston and jug kits found it may not be worth fixing this 10 year old paperweight. Unless.... I could put a bigger say 56mm piston kit on it. So this is where I turn to you'se guys. Anybody out there done this, or should I just tell the old lady I gotta get me a new saw.

Thanks in advance!

I think the 55 is a pretty nice saw. I rebuilt one with a meteor piston/cylinder kit and it turned out well. Just replace the intake boot and impulse nipple insert.

I just picked up a 55 with scored piston and if cylinder can't be saved will put a jug on it as well.

So I was out cutting up firewood the other day and my saw stopped dead in its tracks. Pulled it apart found scoring on the exhaust side of the piston. Got to looking for piston and jug kits found it may not be worth fixing this 10 year old paperweight. Unless.... I could put a bigger say 56mm piston kit on it. So this is where I turn to you'se guys. Anybody out there done this, or should I just tell the old lady I gotta get me a new saw.

Thanks in advance!

YIKES, 56mm.............. not sure if the crank would take it.

79cc 55...can we say sleeper???? I think the OP is wrong about the kit.

I'm not much on aftermarket P/C. There are some that are good, but most of what is found on Ebay is junk.

OP, find a good used OEM cylinder and use a Meteor piston. You may be able to clean up your cylinder, most can be.

Tell the old lady you need a new saw then find a jug and piston for it lol. Any reason is a good reason :p

I really like where your head is at! Well looks like I am off to look for a new saw! :p:clap:

79cc 55...can we say sleeper???? I think the OP is wrong about the kit.

I'm not much on aftermarket P/C. There are some that are good, but most of what is found on Ebay is junk.

OP, find a good used OEM cylinder and use a Meteor piston. You may be able to clean up your cylinder, most can be.

I agree with you on the junk on ebay. Thats why i figured if I could speed it up a bit it may be worth spending the money to get a bigger top end. Never though of getting used cylinder though.

Anybody know where I can find a good used cylinder at?

Shhh don't tell the ol'e lady I am still looking for parts!:D

IMO, the 55 is well worth a rebuild. Get a new saw, rebuild the 55 and keep it as a backup.
The 55 should have had a 46mm to begin with and I don't know if it would even be possible to put a 56mm jug on it. If you want more power, it will respond well to opening the muffler a little and re-tuning the carb.

Husky 50 51 55 is my favorite series of saws. I have two running, and two for parts or rebuild later. Well worth rebuilding IMHO.

Maybe someone can help me with a 55 Im working on for a friend. Its got a good spark, compression and is getting fuel, but it wont fire. The flywheel seems to be where it should. This is a first for me. All I can think of is the timing. Thanks for any help.
John

I think the 55 is a pretty nice saw. I rebuilt one with a meteor piston/cylinder kit and it turned out well. Just replace the intake boot and impulse nipple insert.

That was the problem the I can see in the cylinder impuls port there is a small wood chip and the impulse seal is shot. Well at least I know why it did what it did.

Finally some Husky enthusiasts! I've got what I'm sure you guys will find a simple question. I picked up a pretty good looking 55 three months ago and got it going after changing out the impulse and fuel lines. However it wouldn't tune. From what I read the crank side of the saw was the most likely culprit. I foiund this pretty easy and slipped a new oil seal in. SAME thing happened, it would run really well for about 2 min then couldn't find a sweet spot. RPMs up and down and I felt like I was just chasing my tail. From what I read now and what I've seen changing out the oil seal on the sprocket side is a little mre tricky. Is there any alternative to the oil worm screw or should I just buy one to replace the oil seal. I really can't wait to get this beast into some wood!

Maybe someone can help me with a 55 Im working on for a friend. Its got a good spark, compression and is getting fuel, but it wont fire. The flywheel seems to be where it should. This is a first for me. All I can think of is the timing. Thanks for any help.
John
Hi Gypo Logger,
My humble contribution.. I have a 50 that would not start, I discovered that the throttle linkage was bent, which did not open the throttle at all in the start position, you could pull until you felt sick, but nothing. I found it would start perfectly if I wedged the throttle open with a (loose) cable tie on the throttle, then discovered the bent linkage, which I just 'tweaked' with a pair of pliers, bingo, perfect starting.
Hope that helps?

John
Pull the flywheel and verify indexing. Whats compression at?

Latest posts

Back