Olive Tree, Transplanting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbbus

Reaction score
I need to know the pros/cons of transplanting my olive tree or buying a new one.

I have a 20-40 year-old, 15ft olive tree that after we remodel our So. California house will be sitting in the driveway... I would prefer to relocate it about 20 feet instead of cutting it down and buying a new one.

Option 1 - Transplanting
* Received a quote of $2K, but there is no guarantee that it will survive. Would like recommendations of arborists that have done this before.

Option 2 - Buy a new tree
* Need a good size tree, but don't know where to get one. Scared as I know of somebody who paid $8K for an olive tree to be transported from Northern California to Southern California and it is half the size of mine.

We love our tree as my husband cures and cans the olives!!!!

Does anybody have any recommendations?

mbbus said:

Option 1 - Transplanting
* Received a quote of $2K, but there is no guarantee that it will survive.

Well, since none of the experts have offered an opinion, I'll go ahead and make a non-expert observation:

I have a hard time believing that a tree that is moved 20 feet or so will have a lower chance of survival than one that is moved from northern California to southern California. OTOH, perhaps being grown in a container and then planted is less traumatic than being pulled from the ground and then planted.

I do appreciate your inpute. I'm thinking that maybe a 20 feet move won't be so bad. My tree trimmer said he would root prune the tree first in the fall, give it a chance to sprout shorter roots and then move it in the spring. It seems logical. We'll see...

Olive trees are nice looking, but those things are messy! OTOH, since you actually USE the olives, perhaps that's not as big an issue for you. There's many a blackened sidewalk in Southern California from olive squishings! :D

<sigh> I was hoping I would provoke one of the pros into commenting, but apparently it didn't work!

My understanding is that olives are relatively easy to transplant. Supposedly, you can have a large one moved from an old orchard to your yard relatively cheaply and successfully.

My other suggestion was to buy a new fruitless variety, but I guess you like the fruit and mess, so...

I do appreciate you passing on your information. It is such a dilemna for me and I thought a pricey one. I guess I'll just have to call around and find a olive tree grower and gets some prices. But it's good to know that olive trees are easy to transplant.

Thanks again...

Back