On sale $16.99 IR theromometer.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Stumbled across this IR thermometer on sale with free shipping.
Really handy gadgets for checking the block temp of a chainsaw or other type engines to see if it's overheating due to running lean or otherwise.
I also use a IR for several other things, to mention a few checking exhaust temp of cylinders on auto engines, block temp at the themostat, heat/air.

Smart Sensor Non-Contact Digital IR Instant Laser Thermometer (IRTHERM716) (solidsignal.com)

$17 with free shipping

Problem is cheap crap gives crap performance I have stuffed around with similar ones to this unit out of the four I bought there is as much as 150 degrees Celsius difference you want to risk it go right ahead but I won't

Don't use any anymore the ones I tested were yellow and black off eBay I would say getting something from a engineering supply shop or something like that .
won't be cheap the quality never is

I have 2 or temp guns. One is a snap on, the other is a fluke. They generally read within 1*F of each other. Neither was cheap, or close to cheap. The fluke was over $100.00 and the snap on was closer to $300.00. The snap on reads much higher temps then the fluke, but is rather bulky at the same time. I can't say I'd risk getting a cheap ir temp gun, if it really matters what the temp is. If your ok with being within 10 to 20* I'd bite on a cheap unit.

I have two that I use and both read the same, cost about $60 each when new.

One is a 3M IR-500. Really a good reliable unit that I have had for several years.
Uses a 9v battery that does not corrode like most, but I ALWAYS remove the battery for storage.

The other one is a Raytek MT6 and came from tooltopia and they also sell on flea bay.

Latest posts

Back