One Big Pin Oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mo' pics...
This tree measured at 53" DBH and we had to squeeze it right between the pine in the foreground and the one next to the loader.

Very impressive guys. Theres a nice log there and tons of good firewood. What was the time that took including clean-up?

Fortunately, clean up was left to the yayhoo that originally won the bid. He got in over his head and called me. I took good size load of wood with me. The log was worthless for anything accept firewood due to a big limb that broke out a few years ago and left the rest of the trunk deformed and decaying. We were pulling away after being there about 6.5-7hrs.

Warm.....and i like the security when you're gonna be running medium/large saws in the tree. Gives you a little bit of chaff protection too...

Looks like you all had fun. I was just wondering yesterday if you ever did anything on that tree. I cleaned up a few oaks, and an ash that a fellow I know had dozed. I got not quite 4 cords from it.

I thought I was tired, but I bet you guys were more so. Who's getting the wood from that one?? Looks like a fine job. How bad did the old boy who'd started on it come out?? I guess it some people gotta learn the hard way, huh?? Brandon H. have you watched those tapes yet?? I think you need to teach me to throw-ball like you do as a rental fee :laugh: Anyway, good job guys, glad it turned out well, and got completed safely.
I was really hoping to get that job when I looked at it, it was going to allow me to get a new MS660, but I'm sure another one will come along eventually.

Damn Greg, thats a lot of wood! The big wood is still there if you want it. Give this guy a call if you do. Greg @ (816) 365-7166. If you dont want it, I dont blame ya. Im still wondering how this guy is gonna get rid of it. The biggest saw he owns only has an 18" bar. :laugh:

Thats an awesome little set up you created there Greg. To bad it won't unload and stack itself where you want it. :laugh: Loading and stacking that would be all I would want in a days work

Greg,

one hell of a load you've got there. I bet your pickup was lovin ya. Any idea what the load could have weighed?

Fair warning about what is left over at the big pin oak is huge stuff. Would be a major pain cutting not to mention splitting. I'd stay away unless you have to have it....

The videos are going along well, i still have a couple more to watch. Hope you don't mind if i borrow a few more days...Thanks...

P.S. I have your bee line and i'll be sure to get it to you asap..The throwline is one of those things you learn by spending many hours frustrated and practicing....Give it some time.

Yeah, the load was heavy, rode fine and didn't really bother the truck too much, but I did stop and let the tranny cool down for about 10 minutes at one point.
It's not too hard to unload - I move some pieces around and throw a vertical splitter up there, and split it while unloading it - one less time to handle it, and it's easier to work at waste height. From there it goes into a giant pile in a barn for a few months. Takes a full day to do the whole trailer load, but when the woods already been down a decent amount of time I like to do it off the trailer to avoid bending over and picking it up...

Brandon H. take your time on the videos, - I've watched em a half-dozen times. I'll be in your neck of the woods tomorrow, if you're around I might try to get that line from you... I've got a decent amount to climb next week, and I'd like to use it. I'll holler at you in the morning.

I used that Beeline today on a VT just hanging in my front yard and got it dialed in. All I can say is...SWEEEEET! :blob2:

Latest posts

Back