One Man Crosscut Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bashk

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello Folks,

I am still working on the large (30 inch diameter) fallen oak tree and need some advice. The tree is lying parallel on a hill and the rounds roll down the hill after they have been cut. I cut through one section that has a large (4 inch high) knot on it. I cut perpendicular through the knot which caused me to cut above it with my chainsaw leaving the wood inside the main cut in tact. The wood fiber that is holding the tree together is on the down side of the hill. If I cut off the knot, then cut the remaining wood inside of the main cut, the log will roll next to where I am standing.

My chainsaw has an 18 inch bar, so it won't be able to reach the remaining wood inside the cut from the topside of the hill. I was thinking of buying a one man crosscut saw to finish the cut from the top of the hill. Can anyone let me know what they think of this approach and if there are other ways to deal wil this situation? If you think that the one man crosscut saw approach is sound, can you tell me where I can get one.

Thanks in advance,

Bash

can you just chock the round in place so it don't roll when cut through or at least slow it down?

or

"noodle" the round in half with your chainsaw taking the top off. If you do that just make sure you stick some wedges in the cut or some sticks so it doesn't close up on you before your done.

next time make sure the down hill side is completely through before you finish the top side ;)

Noodling

Hi No Tree Too Big,

Can you explain the process of "noodling"? I assume that you are suggesting that I rip cut through the round that is still attached to the main body of the tree. If this is the case, I recently had the cutting bits on a chain modified at Boston Lawnmower to a 10 degree angle as suggested by Stihl. Here's the response from them:

"Hello Bashu.
Thanks for your E-mail and your interest in STIHL products.
It takes a lot of power to "rip" a log so for this reason we recommend a
"ripping" chain. We do not sell ripping chain but one can be made from
any regular chain by regrinding the cutters from 30 degrees to 10
degrees. Most dealers can do this for you on their electric, bench
mounted chain sharpeners.
I hope this helps and if I can be of any further assistance, please let
me know.
Sincerely,
Mark O'Briant
STIHL Inc. Technical Advisor"

If this is what noodling is, looks like I'll have a chance to try my new ripping chain.

Thanks,

Bash

What's stopping the whole thing from rolling down the hill?

Maybe you could just go ahead cut the rest of the log up till all that's left is the part with the knot in it. If not, you might get a longer bar & chain for your saw.

You can find a one man crosscut saw at a flea market, but you'll prolly have to find someone who knows how to sharpen and set it.

Last edited:
no there is cross cutting, ripping, and noodling

this is noodling http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/106522.htm

you cut with the grain ( length of the log). In your situation you would do it slightly different then normal instead of top to bottom do it right to left, horizontally. A normal chain will do for this process

could you post a pic of the tree?

Latest posts

Back