One Ring or Two?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still think no rings is better like the one in this video. No rings to worry about.

[video=youtube_share;teEREL4BMGo]http://youtu.be/teEREL4BMGo[/video]

I don't think a single ring in a double ring piston would be any less stable than a single ring in a single ring piston.

A single ring pistons will have different weight than a two ring piston, and the overall design of the piston is different, plus you now have an empty gap that does who knows what. All I'm saying is in a work saw it's not worth the unknown risk, in a toy saw it doesn't matter much. I'm not going to act like I know more than the engineers, some are OK doing so, I'm not. Sorry Brad you don't know what happens when you remove the bottom ring of a two ring piston any more than I do, other than the increase in rpm's.

Not trying to bust your balls man.:D

Last edited:
Has anyone measured the compression loss (if any) with 2 rings, then taking one out?

The ends, of a two ring setup, are offset, so there's no 'open' gap. Is the ring gap in a purpose 1 ring piston any smaller?

Interesting topic.

I'm more interested in longevity than all out peak power/rpm, but I am curious as to whether multiple rings really make a difference. I would think that it increases the total ring surface area and so might improve ring wear.

I'd think that a two ring piston would have a little shorter skirt both being same measurments. Reason being the area around the rings has to be a smaller diameter than the skirt. The ring(s) has to work in conjunction with the skirt to stabilize the piston.
Not sayin it wouldn't work cause it will, just thinkin best overall to run what the piston was designed for.

One my 372 that only has one ring, the lower ring goove is empty. I have not seen any problems with it.

My 01' 395xp has two and came stock with the POS epa muff.(now gutted)
Wasn't this the first production year?

Back