One-sided cherry tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beaudisse

Reaction score
About 4 years ago we planted a yoshima cherry in a sunny spot near another yoshima in our front yard. Within one year several branches on one side of the tree were dead. I assumed that it had experienced some damage in its youth, and that it would recover over time. Time was not on its side, however, as now all but the lower-most two branches on one side have died and gone away, and there are no hints of future growth on that side.

Also, this tree's branches reach straight for the sky instead of gracefully falling horizontally. Is this odd for a yoshima/yoshina?

Have I given this tree enough chances to become beautiful? Is there something I can do to encourage growth on the empty side?

One side is beautiful so I'll probably pay a bundle to have it transplanted where its unique growth pattern is not so obvious, but I'd love to avoid the expense.

Thanks for help!

All Prunus species are suseptible to canker infections, this could have been your problem.

With the way trees grow, and especially small ones, it is difficult to fill in large "holes" in canopies. it takes meticulouse long term pruning. One usually ends up enhancint the "unique" form one has after loss of a large section.

Another problem is what variety/ cultivar do you have. It sounds like you may have 2 different ones, which is a problem when the names are foreign. Yoshima and Yoshino are somewhat different in their forms and habits, then there is the reputaiont of the nursery wher you got it, some of the discount people do not use true clones of a cvs.

Not being able to see the trees I would say that if you don't feel it fits the landscape, and you have the resourses, find someone to move it (small landscape companies can come in with an efficient price) and replace it with smoething more desirable for the location, bt first, bring a branch of the "good" tree to the nursery, while in bloom, to have it ID's to get a better match of new material.

Back