Oops!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poley4

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Had a little mishap today while limbing a tree. I was cutting one of the lower limbs off and the tree decided to roll. I thought I had everything out of the way far enough, but again I was mistaken! My wife didn't understand why I would run backwards with my saw in hand and leave hers there to get smashed. I told her my decision on which saw to save was based on the monetary value of each saw, but I don't think she bought it.:hmm3grin2orange: Believe it or not it Stihl runs!

Here are the pictures again. A little smaller to help the folks on dial-up.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

o well you saved your new baby and its just a stihl 17 or 18 looks like it will be an easy fix new muffler and chain brake

Here are the pictures again. A little smaller to help the folks on dial-up.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hey thanks! I will try to remember that next time. I forget sometimes not everyone has a high speed connection.

Hey, I just thought of something..........................doesn't this mean I get to buy another saw. Ohhhhh Honey!

Good point, it would have been a lot more expensive to fix and you wouldn't even be able to start the saw after the "smackdown.":biggrinbounce2:
Never had to fix mine just modded it,and I had a lanyard snap drop one fifty foot started right up, did bend handle a bit! I did get a different lanyard lol.

AAHHHHH all this dial up help is killing my ignorant computer.

Had a similar incident -- Bro in law is helping trim and buck out a couple loads of logs. He sets the 018 on the pile of logs unbeknown to me. I'm bringing another log over (bout 15', 12" dia.) and just drop it on the pile. Half way to impact I see the saw :help: no help here, it's on it's way. Glancing blow, squirts the saw about 10' from the pile, breaks the chain break handle (just like yours) and the top cover. $$s to repair were high but at least the saw was o.k. Good testimony to Stihl saws. Hope my 353 stands up to the rigors.

Ever since that incident I'm over sensitive as to where my saws are. Only one is near the active cutting (trimming/bucking). When felling I always stop before the final cut and look to see where that other saw is (yea, I carry both, I'm not walking miles, just a couple thou. ft) and they better be way out of the way when I'm stacking those logs.

Thanks for resize PAPlumber.

THat saw looks pretty good for a close call, it's not even shakin' in its boots. A little TLC and it'll purr.

wdchuck;
Yeah, much better but whyinell do folks feel it necessary to QUOTE THE PICS and make everyone scroll through them over and over?

I'm just sayin'...:bang:

Last edited:
Good thing it wasn't a husky that would be terrible! lol

Yup, a MS170 is cheap to replace with another, but there is no good reason to do it - get her something better...........:yoyo: :yoyo:

If it stopped the tree, it would make a nice door-stop also....:biggrinbounce2: :biggrinbounce2:

Back