open face cuts??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoneland

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What is the benefits to using an open face cut? I'm used to the traditional cut.

If you have a 45 degree notch, when the tree falls 45 degrees your notch will be closed and snap your hinge. A tree standing straight up on level ground will fall 90 degrees so with 45 above and 45 below should allow hinging all the way to the ground.

Mike

Last edited:
I have never used an open face to top and I top every day. I use a humbolt or conventional. When you want it to land flat, use a shallow undercut, too deep and it will spear into the dirt.

clearance said:
I have never used an open face to top and I top every day. I use a humbolt or conventional. When you want it to land flat, use a shallow undercut, too deep and it will spear into the dirt.

What do you mean by "a shallow undercut". Not being a smartazz, just asking because i don't understand what you are saying.

Steve

clearance said:

Clearance is right, when topping a shorter face works best on vertical limbs, otherwise it will hold on too long and stick tip first into the dirt, then the butt can go in any direction.

As mentioned above, conventional notches will break the hinge upon closing. This causes the trunk or limb to typically jump forward due to forward momentum. Depending on the situation, this can be a desired outcome. However, it is sometimes better for the trunk to stay attached to the stump so that a degree of control can be maintained. I like to use open face notches when the stump is located close to a building's foundation or any other obstacle that you don't want to contact. If done properly, the top of the tree or trunk will contact the ground before the notch fully closes and 'pops' or breaks the hinge, which would cause the trunk to jump forward. I've even seen trunks that will jump to either side or even backwards depending on how the energy is transfered upon hitting the ground. Every situation is different, but both techniques have a role to play.

Back