Opinions on Sourwood vs. Skyline Locust

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am looking for a good street tree to plant in an area between a house and driveway. There is about 17 feet of space in this area. Homeowner removed a sugar maple that was growng in this spot because he was concerned about roots near the foundation. He also didn't want so much shade on that part of the house. I looked at some trees at a local nursery, and two that I am considering is a sourwood and a skyline locust. Obviously, the locust would grow much faster and larger, but the small leaves would let some dappled sunlight filter through. My concern with the locust is that I have read about some susceptibility to disease. Does anyone have any opinions about the skyline locust?

What about the sourwood? Looks like a nice tree from what I have read, but it seems to be very slow growing. Does anyone have any experience with the sourwood? Any problems with pests or disease?

I have ruled out most of the ornamental pears because they already have an aristocrat in the front yard and they want something different.

All opinions are appreciated.

Here's my thoughts-I planted two sourwoods in my backyard three years ago and now have no sourwoods in my backyard-
BUT I'm probably not the best usda zone fro them either. What I'm pointing out is make sure you have the right area ot plant them in.
As far as the locusts go-we have an abundance of locusts on the Purdue campus. Unfornately we are also starting to see what Ohio State is calling some kind of a knot disease on the majority of our trees. So far there seems to be no cure or a sure fire preventative program. They haven't even got it isolated yet! I'm afraid that in the next 10 years our campus may be essentially devoid of locusts trees. So my recommendation would be to avoid the locusts and try something else. Maybe a Mimosa?(I'm really going off the cuff now so I know I'll probably get hammered:rolleyes: )

Originally posted by Gus
I am looking for a good street tree to plant in an area between a house and driveway.
Prunus mume for winter flowers. What happened to dadf's sourwoods? They're great trees 9in NC if you stay ahead of the tentcaterpillars.

Guy-between the winters here and different soil conditions I don't think that the sourwoods had much of a chance. We've had one on campus in our Horticultural Park but it winter killed a few years ago:(

DadF,

Thanks for the reply. You guys are considerably further north than we are - I am hoping that the slightly milder winters will spare us.

Guy, the Prunus mume sounds quite interesting. I just don't know where I can find one around here. Cost is a factor for the folks I am dealing with too. They can't afford an expensive tree, and a local nursery has the sourwood for less than $50.

Does anyone have any opinions on the Sweetbay Magnolias - specifically Henry Hicks? I am looking for something to plant close to my deck.

Thanks!

Decided to go with the sourwood. I have read that they like slightly acidic soil. If I need to amend the soil to make it more acidic, what would you recommend? Would tilling in some peat moss do the trick, or will I need to use sulphur? Is there any rule of thumb, i.e., amount of sulphur to use to lower the PH x number of points?

Best rule of thumb-get a soil test- that's the only way you will know for sure. There are home test kits that are marketed but have never used any.

Back