Opinions requested: how to remove branch (pic included)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pyro2

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just looking for some opinions on how to remove this branch that fell. Sorry for the terrible pic [angle]. I'll get a better one if needed. I already removed the part blocking the street. It is now resting on the ground. I have three options:
a. Cut the part that split at the very top
b. Cut off near the trunk.
c. Keep bucking pieces off at the left and see if it eventually breaks. I assume it won't break on its own.

The question is basically the same for both pieces. The one indicated in red is smaller, but much higher up.

If possible I would like this branch to regrow if at all possible. Independant of how to actually make the cut, is there advantage to leaving the large branches, or just lopping off near the trunk?

Since I know it will come up, I'm learning to climb [recreationally]. I'll go up on a nearby tree with a manual saw to cut up top.

IMG_0290_cropped.JPG

Working on storm damage can be very dangerous. If you have to ask the question on how to handle this situation, I would suggest you hire a arborist. That being said, you will probably try to do this on your own. Have a friend work with you. Don't cut alone. If things go wrong, he can call 911. Reduce the weight from the end of the tree and work back. Don't cut above your head. Kiss your wife and children goodbye and tell them that you love them. You never know.

heh, yeah, kindda what he said
i cant really see anything in your picture
but i would probably cut as much as possible from the ground
then get above it and careful not to do more damage, cut the rest off, probably 2 cuts, one to free the weight and then a finish cut
careful cutting on the ground you dont drop it on your head
work out in your head all the possible consequences for every cut you make
think first, cut second
storm damage is tricky, when you make a cut what happens next could be very surprising
as for where to cut or will it grow, if its broken cut it, and if it broke, it wont grow back
lotta info on the web as to where to cut for the best healing, tho this is not usually possible with storm damage that tore

If you want even a crude tip from professionals without paying someone to come out, at least post some extra decent photos. Closer views, and something for size comparison, like the height and length of this.

Thanks.

The pictures don't show how much is still attached. The safest thing to do would be to put a cable choker on it at the left (downed) end and try to pull it out from a safe distance -- if it is broken off enough to break free. Otherwise you pretty much have to get up there and find a safe way to cut it loose.

Yes, I apoligize for the terrible picture, wasn't originally intending to take the pic for posting here.

zale's a little dramatic, lol. But you never know what type of people are on here, so I understand. I appreciate the opinions. What I got out of it is that it varies depending on the details of the situation and there was no single answer (so no plainly wrong way). And since I didn't give a good enough pic, I realize that was impossible.

When I got to it, it was easy to figure it out by the first cut. I slowly cut the high one into firewood sections placing plastic wedges to avoid binding, which helped a lot. Originally wasn't planning the wedges, but got half way through the first cut and I could tell in advance that I need them. I cut it back to the point where I could manually rock it back and forth and break it free. The lower one, I cut the bottom of the split section dropping the entire piece, and then bucking on the ground.

I then proceeded to try to winch a different tree back up! Now that's backwards compared to what most people are doing! It was a small 4 inch black walnut curved over so much from the weight of the snow (with leaves still on it) it was almost touching the ground. Unfortunetly that failed : ( I couldn't get a high enough point in a nearby tree to really lift it. Not sure that one is going to make it.

Dramatic ? WoW I thought he was to the point but not dramatic.

Everybody is happy you got your storm damage taken care of and didn't post about any accidents.

I've cut hangers when I shouldn't have and every bit of what these guys says is for your benefit.

Back