Oregon 59CJ chainsaw chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustytools

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
A few months ago I bought a new 395XP to use as a milling saw with my Alaskan mill. With the saw I recieved a 42 inch bar and three chains which I intended to regrind to ripping chains. Well today was the first time that I paid attention to the chains as I havent had much use for them yet because my current chain (granberg style) is still in good shape. Looks like I have myself 3 square ground chisel chains. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of these chains and can they be used for ripping? Thanks.

Well, 59CJ is .404 full chisel, full skip. That's a great crosscut chain, and it will mill wood, but being skip and chisel, the cuts won't be as smooth. As far as pros/cons for that chain, if you're wrapping it around a 42" bar, that's a pretty good choice, definitely strong enough for the job. 3/8 would give you a little less resistance from the chain, thus a little better performance, but a slight sacrifice in strength. (although perfectly fine for the job)

Back