Oregon Grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish I had more time to compare equipment.

I don't have experience with this Oregon unit, but I do have experience with Northern Tool knock-off. For the money, I'm very pleased with the NT unit. It isn't perfect, and has plenty of areas that can stand some improvement (there's a thread somewhere around here that discusses in detail the improvements you can make), but gets my chains sharp, and is accurate enough to keep the teeth within a hundredth or so of each other.

The local saw shop has a Oregon unit and it's $500 + on a stand about 5' tall

It looks alot different than that - I wouldnt mind having either of them

I wish I had more time to compare equipment.

I don't have experience with this Oregon unit, but I do have experience with Northern Tool knock-off. For the money, I'm very pleased with the NT unit. It isn't perfect, and has plenty of areas that can stand some improvement (there's a thread somewhere around here that discusses in detail the improvements you can make), but gets my chains sharp, and is accurate enough to keep the teeth within a hundredth or so of each other.

I've seen that thread, but can't find it now that I might need it

Oregon usually makes fine stuff,on this one i haven seen but,,,looking at the pic i dont like the short vice compared to the NT,,i dont seem to like the vice lock compared to the NT,,i dont like the angle readout compared to the NT..
with that said even as i own an NT and have done the mods to it and am happy with it i could see oregon building a better unit..
the NT one is made in ITALY,,wonder where this one is made.
Althoug NT is not known for carrying the best of high quality tools i was satified with thier cheap one and this may be a sleeper for the price ??
for the $ diff it may be worth taking a chance on the name and hope for the best eh ??

not for chisel chain

Some will argue the point, but I do not think this unit has the saddle adjustment that allows you to tilt the chain 10 degrees to either side of vertical, which you need to be able to do to grind chisel chain the way it is intended. If you never intend to use chisel chain, the unit in the link should work well for you.

I know there are AS members who will say they never tilt the vice anyway. Of course you can grind the chain anyway you wish to suit personal preference.

I use the NT version of the 511a as well as the Oregon version, use chisel chain most of the time, and feel the NT grinder does fine and is much cheaper than the Oregon unit. As others noted, there are a few things you can do to the NT grinder to make it work well. It's still not the Oregon unit, but unless you are doing a lot of chain grinding, you won't really care. The only reason I have one of each is that I caught both of them on sale (at different times), the Oregon was a display model which they discounted even more than usual, so I now have one set up for cutters and one for depth gauges.

Oregon usually makes fine stuff,on this one i haven seen but,,,looking at the pic i dont like the short vice compared to the NT,,i dont seem to like the vice lock compared to the NT,,i dont like the angle readout compared to the NT..
with that said even as i own an NT and have done the mods to it and am happy with it i could see oregon building a better unit..
the NT one is made in ITALY,,wonder where this one is made.
Althoug NT is not known for carrying the best of high quality tools i was satified with thier cheap one and this may be a sleeper for the price ??
for the $ diff it may be worth taking a chance on the name and hope for the best eh ??

I think the NT unit is made in China, the Oregon unit in Italy. At least that's true of all the ones I've seen.

I think the NT unit is made in China, the Oregon unit in Italy. At least that's true of all the ones I've seen.

No,,the NT one is made in italy,mine is anyway.
unless they have changed from a couple years ago,and i dont see why they would.
if you read the original thread you would see that.

No,,the NT one is made in italy,mine is anyway.
unless they have changed from a couple years ago,and i dont see why they would.
if you read the original thread you would see that.

I stand corrected,they ARE now made in china.

They're made in Gunagdang I think the town is... They can't even get the motor specs sorted out...Tecomec doesn't even know which specs are right for the motors they're putting in the Oregon grinders. Not to imply that they are not good motors by any stretch, just that they aren't even sure what they are, just ask Bailey's. Bailey's tried for months to get a straight answer for me from them and was unable to and finally had to give up. It's a brave new world. Tsi tian (that's Madrin Chinese pinyin for goodbye)!

Does anyone own this model? If so, how does it compare, good or bad to the Northern Tool 511 knockoff?

Apples and oranges. Size, price, and quality.

This Oregon unit is a smaller unit than the 511A size grinders: 85 watts, 4-1/8" wheel diameter vs 300 watts, 5-3/4" wheels.

The NT knock off is a knock off of an Oregon 511A, and similar, grinders. If you are looking for an alternative to that size of grinder you should look at

Oregon Bench-Mount Chain Grinder, Model# 510A | Chain Saw Sharpeners, Maintenance + Repair | Northern Tool + Equipment

and

Bailey's - Speed Sharp Star Chain Grinder

There were also some closeout deals on similar grinders a few months ago for about $200?- might still be some floating around.

Philbert

Apples and oranges. Size, price, and quality.

This Oregon unit is a smaller unit than the 511A size grinders: 85 watts, 4-1/8" wheel diameter vs 300 watts, 5-3/4" wheels.

Philbert

I couldn't agree more. A.S. member Bigrod has one of the Oregon #108181 grinders that I've used a lot the past few months. It gets the job done, I can vouch for that. While I don't especially care for the vice (either too tight or too loose), it seems to hold well enough to accurately sharpen. I would have liked detents for the angular adjustment as well as a work light, but after all it is only a $200 grinder. All in all, it's a good little unit that performs as intended.

Back