Oregon skip chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bushwackr

bushwackr

ArboristSite Operative
Im goin to run a 36" bar on my stumpy built 046. Bar is a 404 .063ga, I am flipping throught my baileys catalog and I see some oregon 27AX ,and 68JX. Both skip chain,does any one have a opinion on what will keep an edge longer and which will cut faster.

Joe46

Joe46

ArboristSite Guru
Not sure on the 68? The 27AX(used to be just 27A) is a chipper chain, I always called it round tooth. I used it in dirty wood. Could handle dirt a little better than full chisel. Not as fast in clean wood.

cowroy

cowroy

Addicted to ArboristSite
If the wood your gonna be cutting is clean, in other words your gonna cut the tree down and buck it up right there, then the full chisel is what your after, but if your gonna have to drag the logs anywhere to buck them up then the semi is the way to go. I have been experimenting with semi myself here lately and I really like it. Wished I would have gotten some a long time ago.

bushwackr

bushwackr

ArboristSite Operative
Well I have a huge cottonwood that's been laying in the pasture that I can bring myself to waste. Its been there for the last two years just waiting on me. The wood is pretty clean

bushwackr

bushwackr

ArboristSite Operative
I wont pass a tree of this size up. I've burned plenty of cottonwoods. They burn nice just like anything else just a little faster. Oh well I don't mind, I can burn some myself and sell camp bundles. It will be plenty worth it