Oregon to stihl angles chart

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob#4444

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi folks. Im using a new Oregon 520 120 bench sharpener, and I see a chart for sharpening angles using this Oregon sharpener to sharpen Oregon chains, but was wondering if there was an Oregon to Stihl sharpening angles chart somewhere that I could download to show the Stihl recommended information, like head tilt, vice tilt or not, etc. just for when I'm wanting, to sharpen a Stihl chain on this Oregon machine.
Thanks.

Hi folks. Im using a new Oregon 520 120 bench sharpener, and I see a chart for sharpening angles using this Oregon sharpener to sharpen Oregon chains, but was wondering if there was an Oregon to Stihl sharpening angles chart somewhere that I could download to show the Stihl recommended information, like head tilt, vice tilt or not, etc. just for when I'm wanting, to sharpen a Stihl chain on this Oregon machine.
Thanks.
Meh…firewood cutting… (55 on the main tilt). 30 degrees on the cutters.
right “away”, left forward. That’s it. Ore or Stihl or any other brand.
specialty chains may require something different but Ore has a complete chart for those.

This was discussed not too long ago on another thread... I believe the angles Stihl give for their grinder doesn't properly cross over to traditional grinder setup. Not too hard to look at the recommended hand file angles etc & match them with your grinder though. As singingwoodwackr mentioned, anything thats not specialty chain won't be far off 55 & 30

Meh…firewood cutting… (55 on the main tilt). 30 degrees on the cutters.
right “away”, left forward. That’s it. Ore or Stihl or any other brand.
specialty chains may require something different but Ore has a complete chart for those.
So what I figured out is that the degree markings for the head tilt on a Stihl USG and on a Oregon sharpener are completely opposite of each other. The Stihl sharpener at 12:00 position is 0° and the Oregon sharpener at the 12:00 position is 90° which makes it confusing but once you get past that then it makes a little bit of sense.

So what I figured out is that the degree markings for the head tilt on a Stihl USG and on a Oregon sharpener are completely opposite of each other. The Stihl sharpener at 12:00 position is 0° and the Oregon sharpener at the 12:00 position is 90° which makes it confusing but once you get past that then it makes a little bit of sense.
55 or 35 are the same when you match up the tilt.

I use whatever top face and usually 45-60 depending on the cutters use.

Latest posts

Back