ouch!!!!!! it hurts to climb again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old timer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
after many years out of the full time tree game i have started to go up again as my 16 year old son has decided to take the plunge (no pun intended) buy starting work with a local company .boy after visiting this site and others how things have changed , the new safety gear is amazing and so easy to use,he will soon be doing his first climbing course at college should i stop my fun climbing with him nobody here will give me a proper answer. yours old timer,

My shoulders used to really hurt from arthritis, sanp crackle pop. After I startred climbing more, pain is gone.

I been climbing with my 16 year old this summer, 2 days b4 he's back in school. :(

Young 55, 20 more years in the saddle to go.

I'll be 57 next month, and I just really got serious about climbing last year, after Katrina busted up a lot of my favorite trees. I had fooled around with it for a number of years, but never really climbed regularly.

After the first couple of weeks I was back in (good enough) shape. Now, never felt better.

Wellcome to AS; but I'm not sure you qualify as "Old Timer" at a mere 48. How about "Seasoned Veteran"?

That thread was what I was reffering to, we went through all of this not 2 months ago!!:hmm3grin2orange:
Andy

Old timer, welcome aboard.

I leanred from a guy who kept climbing until he was 74; the only reason he retired then was because his wife was getting too worried he was going to make a mistake one day. Otherwise, I would venture a guess he would still be in the trees...

first tree of the day was a large fir, about 36" at the base, had to give up because i could not get the darn flipline up around the huge ivy vines. this large manilla flipline just does not flip! the wire core does not seem to have the stiffness i would like. so far i do not like it. tomorow i should have some climbing rope and will be roping this one.

second tree: spiking up a small maple for a removal, about 20ft up my spurs popped out and sent me to the ground on my back! my lanyard never did catch and stop me, maple was too slick and had no branches where i was. by the time i was half way down the weight of my 019T had me pulled sideways in the air. i landed right beside my saw. on impact my helmet snapped a branch off a downed top that the tree service crew left. if it wasnt for my helmet i would have a branch sticking in my skull. this maple was about 8" at the base, why bother to spike it for a removal? i wanted some easy practice.. turned out not so easy! PPE has proven its value yet again!

score so far: trees 2. climber 0
after the fall i called it quits for the day. more planning needed.
i fought the tree and the tree won.

NWCS said:
the weight of my 019T had me pulled sideways in the air. this maple was about 8" at the base, why bother to spike it for a removal?

And, why bother to use a chainsaw for such small cuts on such a small tree?? Reason #496 to leave that stupid thing on the ground, unless it is truly needed.

I applaud your bravado Ben, but this is the exact reason why I'm staying very close to the ground until I am SURE that I know how to set a backup lifeline so I won't"take the plunge" or I am confident enough with my skills and my lanyard that I won't gaff out. Falling 20' you didn't at least get some bad bruises and some broken bones?? Roping is another matter, I feel very secure in my saddle attached to a good rope, as long as my tie in point is a crotch or limb that is big enough to support my weight.

Vitamin C is your friend, gentlemen. Seriously. Take at least 4 or 5 grams a day when you are doing hard physical work that you're not used to. Splitting wood, climbing, digging ditches, lifting weights, whatever.

You will be MUCH less sore the next day. MUCH less. You need vitamin C to build collagen, a major building block of tissue.

It will also, uh, cure any constipation you have for the first few days, if you are not used to that much vitamin C, but that will settle down. Um, I mean to say, it will cure it whether you have it or not. Don't be climbing the first few days. :help:

:biggrinbounce2:

To get around this problem, start small and work up.

Last edited:
NWCS said:
first tree of the day was a large fir, about 36" at the base, had to give up because i could not get the darn flipline up around the huge ivy vines. this large manilla flipline just does not flip! the wire core does not seem to have the stiffness i would like. so far i do not like it. tomorow i should have some climbing rope and will be roping this one.

second tree: spiking up a small maple for a removal, about 20ft up my spurs popped out and sent me to the ground on my back! my lanyard never did catch and stop me, maple was too slick and had no branches where i was. by the time i was half way down the weight of my 019T had me pulled sideways in the air. i landed right beside my saw. on impact my helmet snapped a branch off a downed top that the tree service crew left. if it wasnt for my helmet i would have a branch sticking in my skull. this maple was about 8" at the base, why bother to spike it for a removal? i wanted some easy practice.. turned out not so easy! PPE has proven its value yet again!

score so far: trees 2. climber 0
after the fall i called it quits for the day. more planning needed.
i fought the tree and the tree won.
Wow nwcs, that's a hell of a fall-glad you're ok. Any idea why your spikes just "popped out?" Also, did you have your lanyard double wrapped-that could have helped to slow your fall or even stop it all together. Hope you have better luck next time!

Can I assume that's not you in your avatar?

Latest posts

Back