Outdoor wood burning stove info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have thought I would like a OWB but after reading the amounts of wood used to heat even a 2000 sq ft home I also say it is nuts.
My 30 year old wore out add on furnace used 4.5 cords of wood last winter to heat my 1900 sq ft house. Many times the wife is opening windows and the door to the screen porch to cool it down since the thing is so wore out it is hard to controll the heat like we could 30 years ago when we adveraged 3.5 cords of wood to heat the place. We have a little Ashley in the dinning room we haven't had a fire in since we figured out how to control the add on.
The ashley and the add on is our only sourse of heat in the house too.

:D Al

Just like stoves, some OWB's burn more efficient than others. I have used my Portage & Main gasification unit for 2 winters so far. Year 1 I burned 5 cords. Year 2 I burned 9 cords but 6.5-7 of that was pine. If I were using nothing but good hardwood, my amount would be less. I am heating 3,000 square feet. My wife likes it warm - 74 all day and 66 at night. I don't mind walking around in shorts in my house because if she is warm, she is more likely to wear less or even nothing!

I have been burning with a Wood Doctor outdoor furnace for 5 years now and one thing that makes a huge difference in how much wood you burn is how proper your underground pipe is installed. I started out only 2-1/2 to 3 feet deep with somewhere around a R-6 insulation. I would go thru a average of 13 cords of firewood per season, that's burning for 7 months in Pennsylvania. I re-did the underground piping making it an average of 6 feet deep with a total of R-14 for insulation. The last 3 years now I have been averaging 8-9 cords heating a 3650 sq. ft home keeping the temperature at 72'.

I'm with Blazin...Central Boiler with no issues at all...year 8 for me too.

Do you use ASh-trol?? This will be my 4th season with a 6048 and my dealer has never mentioned it or given me any? I was wondering what other peoples thoughts were on ash-trol??

Do you use ASh-trol?? This will be my 4th season with a 6048 and my dealer has never mentioned it or given me any? I was wondering what other peoples thoughts were on ash-trol??

Save your money for beer after cutting! :D

Thanks so much guys for all the info! It has definitely narrowed my search down to (3) models...now I just have to find where in my region I can purchase one of the (3) brands. Well, then I have to see what I can afford! :cool2:

Thanks again guys! Great info!

Thanks so much guys for all the info! It has definitely narrowed my search down to (3) models...now I just have to find where in my region I can purchase one of the (3) brands. Well, then I have to see what I can afford! :cool2:

Thanks again guys! Great info!

........And make sure you find a good dealer that'll take care of you and not just fling BS like a car salesman. CB has a hell of a rebate now :msp_thumbup:

I installed a Central Boiler Classic (non-EPA) 5036 last fall, so have just one season on it. Ours heats the DHW, the house - 1700 ft^2 - and the garage - 700 ft^2. Our furnace is propane and didn't run at all last winter, nor did the electric water heater.

We burned about 11 cords of mostly green ash, as I didn't decide to get the boiler 'til fall, and had no wood ready. Everything that was burned was cut in 2012, was nearly all Ash, and went into the pole shed after splitting. This year, we have better wood - some walnut and ash cut and split last year - so we may burn a bit less; time will tell. Yes, an Outdoor Woodpile Burner consumes a lot of wood. I'm OK with that.

Last winter was long and cold in Minnesota. the year before was warm, short and had little snow.

Jon

http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/211894.htm

That's the link to my installation thread for my Central Boiler.

Here's the link to my comparison thread between Central Boiler and Woodmaster.

http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/205684.htm

Those two were the most locally available brands that I chose from.

Like mentioned above, another important thing to consider is dealer support. Find a dealer that is close and that you can trust! My local dealer had all needed components for installation in stock, and had to order some of the less-important parts and they were drop shipped to my door. They're also extremely knowledgeable about the products and installation.

Just my experience with shopping for an OWB.

Latest posts

Back