Over in the UK

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all.
An old softwood, clearfell forester here, retired now due to medial reasons and disabilites.

I am slowly getting back into being able to pick up a chain-saw and do a little cutting for firewood and other things.
Trying to fix up some old saws from the past and need a bit of help along the way.

Probably not able to offer much help to others, as the olden days of a man and a saw are almost over across the UK now.
All done via machines and extraction by machines now on an industrail size.
Cutting, felling, bench felling, stacking etc are what i used to be about.
1st thinnings, 2nd thinnings and clearfell.

I have read a few posts on this forum and think this is where I see the help I will need with some saws Husky saws I have, so looking forward to input from others in here.

Thanks Stihlafcionado for the welcome. Must watch what I say about Stihl saws.
I have already got immense information almost instantly when i joined, so very happy about this.
Not often a forum is this good, so hats off to the owners/mods and who-ever is managing all this.
I also saw the 576XP , so this won me over.
I won't say what sayings we used to have in the olden days over stihl's in the forestry in the North of Scotland. Would get an instant ban unfortunately.
:rolleyes:

Welcome to AS
welcome!, mate... used to live in UK... fond memories! ~

down round the Harrow area, just a bit S of downtown London....

still remember them swell fish... n chips, too. and i make them and they are pretty darn good and close to them's from the chip shops of old...

bus ride to the swimming pool was 3-'apes!... after a 3 mile walk into town. and chips at the f/c shop round by the pool... tupence! no Mom to drive us to school or the pool! lol

1699816972408.png

I have already got immense information almost instantly when i joined, so very happy about this.
Not often a forum is this good, so hats off to the owners/mods and who-ever is managing all this.
I won't say what sayings we used to have in the olden days over stihl's in the forestry in the North of Scotland. Would get an instant ban unfortunately.
:lol:

din't think there was much... North of Scotland! ;)

looking a bit north of... North Scotland ~

1699817149081.png

:givebeer:

no Mom to drive us to school or the pool! lol
We had the wierdest childhood ever in the North of scotland. 6 forestry houses, a school, a shop and a doctor/nurse surgery, oh and a post-office. My primary schooling in the winter was held in our front living room as the teacher and the other 5 houses who had children all came to our house, so no getting off because we were snowed in and all roads cut off. But it worked, as it took the stigma of learning away, and had us all wanting to learn, as it was fun. Okay, maybe I am a freak in life, lol

din't think there was much... North of Scotland! ;)

looking a bit north of... North Scotland ~
Ah you have noticed this then. We try to hide this fact from the masses, but they seem to find out somehow.
You are living off the grid so to speak, so forestry was one of the main things up there back then. Fishing, mountaineering, rock climbing etc.
Only problem we had and still have are midges, which until you suffer them in the north with the peat bogs, you will never know what it is like to live in all through summer.
I moved around the UK all my life, so class scotland as my place of birth, but Wales opened her welcome to me some years back in the North, and now I have been accepted in the South, still living off the grid though. Towns and cities are a place to be visited only now.

A deep scottish accent, North of Inverness is not able to be masked, anywhere in the world. Everywhere i go in life, and when I speak, the entire crowd are in shock and awe when I even say things like thank-you at a till or ask for something. :D

Sold most of my Husky's (395, 390, 385, 372,346)
And gave three away to an organization that cuts & delivers wood for those who heat with it but cant afford the price of cordwood.

Sold most of my Husky's (395, 390, 385, 372,346)
And gave three away to an organization that cuts & delivers wood for those who heat with it but cant afford the price of cordwood
I am also now too old to make a living in the forestry, and also badly disabled with a brain injury and carers who come everywhere with me and help me, including when I am doing firewood for others in the area now. I have just under 1/4 lung capacity left, so get out of breath simply by talking to others, lost my balance, fall over a lot, and lost sensation in a few body parts, am mostly house-bound and still I romp on like nothing is wrong.

Took me a few years to get to the stage I am at now, as now I can operate a chainsaw for a few minutes at a time at last. Once I fell a tree, it takes me 20 mins to get my breath back, and I have adapted the way i do it so allow me to still be able to drop a tree. I have to use smaller saws for blocking the tree, so have a few at hand so as not to over-heat them. I have to get my carers help to start them sometimes when cold as I can get one single pull before I am out of puff.

It takes me hours or days to do things that used to take minutes now, but this still does not slow me down. Plenty of time to rest when i leave this wonderful planet, till then, every day I live to the full.

Young fit and active inside, but actually forgetful, slow and even a hedgehog i feed outside every night can outrun me.

I feed loads of animals and birds, day and night as this keeps me busy and makes me feel good I am helping others.

The firewood and tree cutting i am doing is for another couple in another valley to me who are both retired, way older than me, and recently bought one of the small private forests in my valley which has fields, so they can grow wild flowers etc,, and have never done firewood or anything with trees before, so this is a great way for me to help them out. There forest is all hardwoods, oaks mostly, beech and few other varieties.
There is enough dead oak to take down for years to come for them, and I am also ripping some of the trunks to give them planks and slabs of oak to use for anything they like. I rip and cut posts and strainers on the spot also to help them rebuild some of the fences around the fields. Everybody up here uses quads and 4x4's, so easy to get around the land and mountains these days.

To all readers, as i am a newbee here.

I will say all this once in here, and please readers, just read it and don't ask questions or bring it up to much, as the next bit will explain where i am in life and what I do to get by, the same as you all in here and out there in life.

If wanted, i could post the body damage i suffered and live with, but not personal stuff like head stuff and other problems daily for me.

I cannot touch my toes, and cannot move my neck on my shoulders, so have to turn with entire torso only. If I move my neck only and forget to move the torso, I actually hit the floor, as the nerve and bone damage in my neck are severe.

My face and body have had major reconstructive surgery, so is not symetrical, and why I moved away from people, as they jsut stare, as is natural.

I do not talk much about the accident, and also why I live now off the grid so to speak, and will only ever say this on the whole subject, which was a serious one.

I was taken out head-on 94MPH combined impact on my motorbike (also, lucky I had a dash-cam).
Car driver lost control, swerved across his lane on the other side of the road into me and was doing nearly 70 in a 30 mph zone on my way home one night in London in 2011.

Apparently it made the London papers as I was lifted via helicpoter, but to this day luckily, I know nothing and woke from a coma and never looked back.

I sued the car driver through his insurance, so this helped me get to the stage in life I am now at.
I defied the hospitals and doctors and refused to be in a wheelchair the rest of my days.
I used most of the insurance money put in trust on private medical stuff, as was determind i would walk again on my own two feet. (I forged the trustees signatures always to pay the private hospitals, and by the time it was noticed , too late, haha)
I have always been asked if i regret using the money for this, and no way, worth every penny, skint now, but a life to live once more.

I do not know or understand I have brain damage, so to me, i am still the same inside, but to others, aparently it is serious and dangerous, and why carers are now with me for the rest of my days.
I am insomiac, do not know or understand hunger, do not have any concept of dates or time, and clocks and time have no bearing or relevance. Cognitive fuctioning and reasoning are affected as was without oxygen too long at the scene.

Most days i cannot drive at all, and cannot do much.
I have to pass my driving test every year also, which is an extended one because of the body and brain injury, and never bothers me.

I use ropes and slings to help we with the saws when cutting.
The left hand, arm, leg and foot lose sensation and grip, more often than it allows me to use it, so a sling strap I use, tied to the front hand rail of the saw, and this goes over and down my left shoulder to my right heel, and I can push down on it to help me hold the saw when cutting through for blocking for firewood.
So learning bench-felling helps me, as i know how to drop them and be at waist height, instead of stuck in the ground on the trunks.

Would be very strange to video myself and watch how I now do things in life that were once second nature.

I also have lost the ability to learn almost anything new, so am stuck in life up to the day of the accident with what-ever i learned to keep me going.
Don't use or watch a TV, as brain damage stops me getting to the end of any film, where i have to go back and start again, so gave up on this, and no loss.
Music, I love, and have a lifetime collection on LP and a very good hi-fi.
Lost the entire left side of the body to use, so use the right side to help the left side out.

Compters are fine, (Still using windows XP and 7 tho, and yes still both on the internet, and will never switch to 10/11, and also have linux in the background) but mobile phones are out and of no use to me. Obviously also cannot ride motorcycles now, so sold most of my collection.

It took me a few years to be able to even start to see if i could ever drive again, but one thing I have, is loads of positive thinking, determination, and shear and utter stubborness that drives me on like nothing is wrong.

A pain threshold that will drop most humans on the spot, or knock them uncouncious.

I use mother nature to live and survive, like I know when it is darkness, people are asleep, and the changing seasons also help in this.
Animals and birds do not judge humans, do not know or understand my problems, and why I find it easier to be living among them instead of a town or city.

The powers that be and all medical people all tried getting me to move to a town or city. As easier for THEM to help me, and nothing to do with the simple fact I am better and stronger here and have a life once again. To them, everything is a simple tick box job to say they are doing the right thing, even when wrong and stopping people getting better on thier own.

And now the emotions are coming to me, so will stop here, and you can all make up your own minds on what you have read.

I do take things personally that people say, and this should not happen, and i have no control over this. So please, never be angry or agressive towards me, even if I type or say something that you do not agree with. Opinions we all have, but basic facts and a lifetime of experiences are just this, so opinions are not facts in my book. But always help to come to an understanding.

The plus sides of all the above.

I get to park in disabled places.
I do not, and cannot use or put on a seatbelt, as cannot breath and i cannot sit back or touch my back on anything for the rest of my life, so can only sit forward. (I know seatbelts save lifes, and would wear one if it was possible).
I get help with everything in life now, even cooking, cleaning and shopping.
I get help with nearly everything I want to do, and if not allowed because of danger or problems, you guessed it, I am still going to do it anyway when the carers go home.
I get to live cheaper in the countryside and with mother nature.

Only bad side.
I cannot change gears in a car, and left foot does not like to dip the clutch, so auto's only.

Thanks for reading this far, I would have stopped at the line at the top, "a newbee" in my younger days.

I am not even sure if I should post this or am allowed, but well here it is.
:reading:

Latest posts

Back