owb and burning pine.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ant

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
pros and cons

i can get a few cords of pine any con's on burning it in my owb?

Burns fine, obviously not as good as hardwood, doesn't like to coal up as nice either so I mix in a little bit of hardwood to remedy that issue.

Pine will burn, but it burns fast, and there are only a few types of pine that give off good heat. The rest are pretty soft and only have limited heat, and they all have a lot of pitch, and so generate a lot of creosite in the OWB.

I do not go out of my way to get any types of pine here. We went through a half cord here this winter in about a week. It was free though. I forget if it was Ponderosa or Western White Pine. Not my wood of choice, but it will certainly burn! :rockn:

Pros:
If it is FREE.

Cons:
If you have to pay for it.

I burn it in the early fall and late spring. it makes for a quick hot fire to take the frost of the pumpkin. :D

Burns fine, obviously not as good as hardwood, doesn't like to coal up as nice either so I mix in a little bit of hardwood to remedy that issue.

what he said

I split it, let it dry for a few months, and it burns just fine. If its good and dry, your boiler will get up to temp quick with pine, then go dormant. Burn times shorter than hardwood, but honestly not drastically shorter in my owb. I never had a buildup problem.

Latest posts

Back