OWB anticipation is killing me...but for now working out the pre-install kinks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dparkguy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Good evening all,

I have been making great progress in preparing for the arrival of my new OWB. Check is going out tomorrow so we are getting close. Pipe is underground and grass seed is growing well. Concrete pad is poured and curing just fine. Now my questions...
For those who have hooked the boiler to an existing hot water boiler using a plate exchanger...I have two circulator's on my existing boiler that pull the water from my hot water baseboards and my radiant floor heat. Where would be the most logical an efficient place to tie the plate exchanger in? Will an oversized plate exchanger hurt efficiency? I'm looking at a 50-60 plate. House is 2000 sq. ft. and I have a domestic coil in my existing boiler. New OWB will have 250 gallon water jacket and I will be running a 3 speed grundfus so I can dial in the proper GPM to the plate exchanger. I will be installing a series of temp guages on both the supply and returns going to and from the plate exchanger. The existing boiler has 1 1/4" black pipe that I would have to tie into. Any thoughts or pics of some existing hookups would be helpful. Am I missing anything important?

A picture showing my current boiler setup:
View attachment 299451

Concrete pad with underground lines behind:
View attachment 299452

I got me a lot of seasoned wood to feed my OWB properly:
View attachment 299453

And more wood waiting to be butchered over the summer:
View attachment 299454

Your woodshed stash is impressive. How many cords are there? Those big logs will keep you busy for awhile. Did you vet a gasser? If not you will be able to process larger pieces resulting in less splitting and stacking.
You will love it after you get it dialed in. For the next 6 months you'll be wondering if you did the right thing and 8 months from now you'll be kicking yourself for not doing it sooner. Good luck with it.

I have to give you credit. Most guys come on here asking how to scrounge wood to feed their new wood burner. (This includes me when I put my OWB in) You on the other hand have wood coming out of your ears waiting for your burner to arrive. Don't have any answers to your questions but a heck of a job getting your wood processed and SEASONED before the fact. Don't forget the pics when it arrives and set on the pad.

Your woodshed stash is impressive. How many cords are there? Those big logs will keep you busy for awhile. Did you vet a gasser? If not you will be able to process larger pieces resulting in less splitting and stacking.
You will love it after you get it dialed in. For the next 6 months you'll be wondering if you did the right thing and 8 months from now you'll be kicking yourself for not doing it sooner. Good luck with it.

I did not get a gasser. I have a great supply of wood and have an obsession for splitting and stacking. I used to to handle a piece of wood 8 times from cutting down the tree til it goes in the wood stove. I think with the OWB I will handle it 4-5 times and split my rounds into larger pieces. I have neighbors within 200 feet of me and want to make sure I only burn good, hard seasoned wood.
Wood shed now measures 30' long 10' deep and stacked 8-10' high. Its an art form to me!

With 20+ cords of wood storage under cover and several more ready to be processed maintaining a 2 -3 year seasoned wood supply will be doable. I agree with Dogsout... you deserve credit for being ahead of the curve on this. Sorry I can't answer real questions, but again I am impressed by your woodshed.

I enlarged the picture but it is too fuzzy to see. What is that ivy all over the unprocessed log?

That would be English ivy. The entire tree is wrapped in vines. I have a wife who is highly allergic to poison ivy so I stay as far away from that as possible.

Latest posts

Back