Owb - Backdraft Danger !!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scootermsp

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well thankfully I was warned of it so I am in the habit of opening my door just a couple inches for a few seconds. Tonight I went out to check if I needed more wood for overnight, I noticed the temp was 187F (cycle had ended at setpoint of 185F). When I opened the door about 2 inches and paused like always (thank God), I heard air rush in making a soft whistle sound and then the superheated gases that remained trapped by the back baffle flashed over. flames shot out over 1 foot in 3 directions (not on the hinged side). Had I not been in the habit of slowly opening the door I would have been burned. CAUTION !!!! Don't be in such a hurry and REMEMBER you are dealing with something that can seriously burn you! Always open your OWB door SLOWLY, wear gloves, and stand behind the door---NOT next to where it opens.......with that said.......BURN BABY, BURN !!!!:popcorn:

Last edited:
Ahh yes thats happened to me a couple of times. I always check the water temp before I open the door, and if it is over the maximum set temp I am very careful, more than once I have almost lost my hair. I always made sure to tell my wife to check temp first when she had to load it cause she didn't do it that much.

Kyle

Yup, the most dangerous time is a few minutes after the draft has closed. Like you guys i look at the temp and also the smoke. It doesn't take long to figure out when you need to be extra carefull. In this day and age I am surprised that some kind of timed interlock is not required by law. Never open the door just a crack to peek in an OWB.

My FIL's Johnson (I don't know what model) OWB has a secondary 'catch' on the door latch so the door only opens 2" or so at first. It automatically keeps you from swinging the door open wide. Kind of a nice feature!

Ah yeah..Crack the door and hang on for a few if she's a up to temp! It usually only takes one instance of flames blowing out at ya to remind you to be aware :laugh:

My Hardy has an ash door. As long as you always open the ash door first you are good.

I only forgot once. Only once!!!!! Scared the heck out of me.

The dealer where I bought my OWB warned me to always look at the temperature and see if it was just over 170 is was probably just after a burn cycle and I should be careful opening the door. Evidently when he first started selling OWB's he had some people looking to buy one and he walked them out to see the one he had heating the building. He opened the door (evidently right after the damper closed) and a huge ball of flame shot out the door.........the couple left without buying an OWB.

Back