owb company out of business ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We bought ours in June 08, last Jan it started to leak they wanted us to add an additive to seal the leak and jerked us around for 3 months before they would give us the ok to have it welded. Then it took 4 more months for them to pay the 150 dollar welding bill. Now our door has a crack in it and it has a16in by 12in bow in it and they shut down operations at least under that name.

freedom also

freedom done the same thing closed then opened with a new name no warranty but they will be happy to SELL you anything you need for your furnace

They were super responsive up till the time of our leak and after that it was a whole differant ball game. The furnace is great but I wasn't figuring on them going belly up. We heat my house my parent's house and our business . We went from over 3500 gallons of oil annually to about 150 gallons. But it does eat the wood.

Hello Emmeg

They were super responsive up till the time of our leak and after that it was a whole differant ball game. The furnace is great but I wasn't figuring on them going belly up. We heat my house my parent's house and our business . We went from over 3500 gallons of oil annually to about 150 gallons. But it does eat the wood.

Being a seasoned user of a FHM do you have any hard earned advice you want to share concerning the care and feeding of your boiler? What model do you have?

It's to bad about the Maxx R insulation because that stuff works dandy. We buried our pex about 3 feet deep with it and we have VERY little heat loss. Our business is only 30 to 40 feet from the unit however my dad's house is around 160ft and the loss is about 3 to 5 degrees. My house is 175ft away and the water into the heat exchanger is hot enough for my house to be 72degrees and our DHW is always hot. We just got done putting a 1456ft addition for my mother-in-law on the far end of the house this month and hooked her up to it. We had 8 degrees this morning and I walked over to her heat pump at 4 this am and it was quiet. When she got up I went in and her house was 72degrees so I guess we have enough to heat her too. Our unit is a model 250. I burn strictly pine from mid Nov till spring I use more wood then when I burn hardwood only but I get a quicker fire. I also have a tree service 1/3 of a mile from me he dumps all his wood here he used to have to pay dump some of it. win-win Last year hedumped 73 loads gotta love it.

What's a load?

A load is every time he backs his F450 in and dumps. Sometimes it's 2/3's full sometimes it's hanging over the top.

A load is every time he backs his F450 in and dumps. Sometimes it's 2/3's full sometimes it's hanging over the top.

x 73 = 24 cords minimum.

1/3cord being a small load in a truck that size.

F450 would come with a 9' or more typically 10' mason box.

I think 24 would be conservative. I'm barely computer literate. I will get my wife to put pictures up of our wood. We have a 36 ft. hay elevator and 4610 Kubota that we use to "stockpile' it. I will try to get some dimensions but I think it is 10 pallets wide,15 to 20 pallets long and 12 to 15 ft high, not stacked but dumped in that area and not cut up either. That is after 2 3/4 years of OWB use and the tree service dumping and my own scrounging.

free heat machine

i bought one in 2009. it was supposed to be boiler plate steel and be great. no leaks yet but i am worried after reading everything. is it the older ones that were stainless that have the problems or all the free heat machines are junk. does anyone have good history with them? it stinks they are not in business. oh well

Free Heat Machine too

I have had mine since 2008. So far, it has worked like a champ with no problems whatsoever. The FHM has been everything they said it would be. Having said that it will probably blow up tomorrow:dizzy:

Ours is stainless steel they told me they switched from boiler plate to ss 409 because it was more durable but then at the end they went back to boiler plate. We bought from them because two local people I met had bought from Timber Ridge three years earlier {5 yrs now } and were and are happy. Our leak was beneath the door and below the door latch and was an easy fix.

Back