OWB fire keeps going out

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaberwky

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Now I must preface this by saying I ain't always the brightest log in the fire but it's got me confused....

This is my 4th heating season with the OWB (CB Classic). I have been burning for about a month now and have had the fire go out on me 4 times so far! Let me explain - I have a nice 10-12” deep load of embers and glowing coals (or even some wood left) when I check my stove. I then load the unit full and the water temp is normal (my range setting is damper open at 170 and closed at 182). I come back after either being gone for work or overnight, and the load of wood has failed to ignite, and my water temp is rock-bottom, maybe 95-120 or so. Sometimes the load of wood has burned a little and gone out, sometimes the coal bed has just plain died down. In all cases the coals are never 100% dead, but have died down so low I have to bring them up out of a layer of ash.

Yesterday was a perfect example. I loaded full two nights ago, when the coal bed was really hot and active (I mean when I open the door the charred wood that’s left at the end of a burn would light up in flame within 10-20 seconds). That load burned all night and I checked in the morning yesterday – still plenty of wood in there so all is good. I get back after work and the load is almost completely gone and I have the same “active” coal bed, but water temp is high 170s and I figure I’ll leave it a couple more hours until kids are in bed. When that time comes the water temp has dropped to 156 so I pull the coals front & center and load the stove full. This morning I wake up to a chilly house and go outside – sure enough the water temp is 95 and the load hasn’t burned more than 10%, but there’s still a small bed of live coals under the ash. Of course I had to stir it up, add some kindling, and nurse the fire alive again.

I have clear airflow in the stack, and the damper is wide open with no blockages, and the damper seems to be working fine by opening and closing at the right times when I’ve been out there at the 170 and 182 temp times. I live in a flat, wide open rural setting so there is ALWAYS a stiff breeze, which means the damper is always getting plenty of air. In the past, I could load full with snow or rain-wet wood, and as long as I had a shovel full of live coals raked right in front of the damper it would eventually light up with NO issues. So, could there be something I’m missing that is making my fire want to die off so easy? I can’t have this happening in a few weeks when it’s REALLY snowy and stormy.

The only time that this has happend to me is when I forget to rake the coals to the front of the box before loading. Also find that when the temp is below freezing all night and day the unit (cb6048) runs much better and this kind of problem goes away. I also like to burn off the build up in the stack every so often by leaving the door open with a good fire going for 10-15 minutes.

Sounds like wet wood and/or damper's shut too long because of no demand?

Check the damper solenoid and wiring. I have replaced my damper solenoid 2 times and replaced some charred solenoid wiring in the past 5 years on my CB.

Did you actually pull the inspection cover off of the chimney stack and see no obstruction? I had a buddy who had a 6048 and it did similar to the same thing. It still smoked some, but wasn't venting well enough to keep a fire going. Sounds like your damper is working. Do you get a big face full of smoke when you open the door?

Kyle

The only time that this has happend to me is when I forget to rake the coals to the front of the box before loading. Also find that when the temp is below freezing all night and day the unit (cb6048) runs much better and this kind of problem goes away. I also like to burn off the build up in the stack every so often by leaving the door open with a good fire going for 10-15 minutes.

:agree2: Always be sure to rake the coals forward before loading. Last night I went out to load it and it was going good so I kept door open about 10 minutes. In about 5 minutes I had flames coming about 4 feet out of the stack. I let the stack get going and closed the door, stack flames shot out with sparks for about 10 minutes. Keep your fire forward and stack clear.:cheers:

Last edited:
:agree2: Always be sure to rake the coals foreward before loading. Last night I went out to load it and it was going good so I kept door open about 10 minutes. In about 5 minutes I had flames coming about 4 feet out of the stack. I let the stack get going and closed the door, stack flames shot out with sparks for about 10 minutes. Keep your fire foreward and stack clear.:cheers:

Kinda cool isn't it.

Kyle

Kinda cool isn't it.

Kyle

:agree2: :hmm3grin2orange:

Yep sure is....just like a roman candle, especially when it happens at night. People with inside wood burners would be freaking out and calling the local fire department. Been there and Done that!
Me….just grab a beer and a chair and watch the show. :popcorn:

My son likes to

Stand out there at night and open the door.. Let the fire get to ripping til the crud catches fire..
My first big fire was back on a dry day.. I had several small fires in the yard.. Believe it or not.. Lambs ear burns very well..That is in the wife's flowerbed..

how much stack you have???

4 ft 6 8 10 ??

blower fan??

guy arond here had a blawer fan and bought a new unit without and he said he had a 4 ft with the blower and all was well but the non blower needed 8 ft to work at all.

so unless you have at least 8 ft you may need nore !!

no blower I would go 16 ft and a brace .

I have a Heatmor furnace. Before every season I take the blowers (front and back) off and make sure the vents are open from ash. Then in the back there is an inspection cover for the flue, inside is usually pretty full. You have to make sure you have air in and air out. Ill bet dollars to donuts you aren't doing one of those. A good check is if with door open you can get wood to flameup, close door and come back in 30 minutes. If fire is out that's it. Pete

how much stack you have???

4 ft 6 8 10 ??

blower fan??

guy arond here had a blawer fan and bought a new unit without and he said he had a 4 ft with the blower and all was well but the non blower needed 8 ft to work at all.

so unless you have at least 8 ft you may need nore !!

no blower I would go 16 ft and a brace .

I just put in a 5036 and it has been lit for 3-4 weeks. No fan, 3 pieces of stove pipe (12'), and I love it. No problems with the draft, just toss a few chunks on top every 12 hrs. Outside wind chill here is in the teens, inside temp. is 71 deg. non stop. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Did you actually pull the inspection cover off of the chimney stack and see no obstruction? I had a buddy who had a 6048 and it did similar to the same thing. It still smoked some, but wasn't venting well enough to keep a fire going. Sounds like your damper is working. Do you get a big face full of smoke when you open the door?

Kyle

I have a Heatmor furnace. Before every season I take the blowers (front and back) off and make sure the vents are open from ash. Then in the back there is an inspection cover for the flue, inside is usually pretty full. You have to make sure you have air in and air out. Ill bet dollars to donuts you aren't doing one of those. A good check is if with door open you can get wood to flameup, close door and come back in 30 minutes. If fire is out that's it. Pete

I too have experienced the joy of wondering why it is so cold in the morning only to find a firebox full wood. Three things that I would check:

1) The big full face of smoke would be a sign that your ventilation is less than adequate. I don't believe you indicated whether you cleaned out the stack, but that should be done once a year regardless. Otherwise, to make sure it burns efficiently and to avoid the full face of smoke, I usually clean the four vents at the back of the firebox and the long rectangular chamber above the fire box that allows the smoke to travel from the back of the fire box to the front and up the stack once per month. I have a Taylor, and to clean that rectangular chamber above the box I open a panel at the back that allows access to both it and the vents. I also open the cover for the chamber at the front and run a long pipe through with a rectangular piece on one end.

I have also learned not judge ventilation by smoke coming out of the stack only. But when I do check stack smoke, I always make sure to see that it it hot enough. I think on most OWBs there should be a couple of inches of clear radiant heat above the stack before the fumes cool enough to give you the white smoke.

2) In your post you indicated that there is 10-12 inches of glowing hot coals at the bottom of the box. I have learned that build up on the bottom of my firebox can limit my airflow in the firebox and prevent the air from getting where it need to go to catch a fresh load of wood, even with a blower. I make sure that the air coming in can feed the coals in direct contact with the wood and that there is enough airflow around the wood for the fire to spread.

3) I just realized this morning that I have been having trouble with excessive wood consumption because my firebox blower temps are set too low for the cold that has hit our area early this year. I run them low when it is warm because I presume (don't know for sure but it seems to work) that it helps reduce evaporation. If your blower is not coming on soon enough, is it possible that the coals are dying for lack of air before the blower kicks on?

One last note, when I have burn problems, I try and check it a half hour or so after loading, and then maybe again later. I definately make sure its going well before going to bed. Fifty-five degree mornings are no fun!:buttkick:

Good luck, Michael.

My 165 Shaver has the opposite problem. Its running 10 to 15 above the thermostat setting at times. I have a forced fan draft and been running the draft door approx 1/3 open. Today I just closed it a bit to 1/4 open. With the junk I'm burning I have no coal bed, rake nothing and just keep throwing wood into it. 12 hour burn time so far in 15 to 20 degree nights, 28 to 30 day temps.
From the little I know about CB's there is no draft motor per se and a draft door kinda opens and closes as needed. Therefore it would seem reasonable that a bed of coals is necessary to keep the fire burning.. good luck..

:jawdrop:

Back