OWB guys... how much are you loading your stove?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urhstry

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
For those of you who have a OWB, how much are you loading your stove at a time. I'm looking for the winter pics on a twice a day loading. Also interested in how everyone is mixing small and large pieces together. Thanks

I typically load my stove twice a day no matter what the temps and vary the load with anticipated usage. My OWB is a Woodmaster which is just a round firebox with over fire air injection. My prior heating system, which was an add-on in the basement also had over fire fresh air, what I found with it (and its the same with the Woodmaster) is that constant loading of more wood than it uses results in a firebox full of coals that either have to be shoveled out and thus wasted or you have to spend a Saturday stirring and fooling with them to get them burned down. All in all is just easier for me to try to load what is going to be burned up more or less completely in 12 hours. Now if you are introducing the combustion air through a set of grates up through the fire then there is no (or at least less) worry with this. I do like the over fire air, its just a little more involved than just pitching the thing full of wood. Back to your question, with my boiler and my BTU needs I may put in two slit pieces twice a day in the fall and spring or I have filled the thing to the door when it was below zero and wind blowing. Usually I put in bigger pieces and fill the voids with smaller ones. The coals left over in the stove are raked forward, towards the incoming air and wood is thrown in the rear.
I have yet to experience the "rounds work better" phenomena that some speak of, I now work my wood as I did when I had two stoves to feed so it is good and dry and doesn't wrench my back throwing it in.

I too have found that you can overload the stove. I load it up well once a day and just check it later usually. I work second shift so when I get home I will stir the ashes and wood around and if I feel I have enough til morning I leave it so I get a complete burn. If you keep puttng fresh wood on partially burned stuff you get a lot of coals that won't burn up. I have a Central Boiler with a front draft. The stack is in the back so I try to stack as much up front as possible to reduce the heat loss out of the chimney.

Kyle

I also have a CB. I fill the fire box 80-90% full every time, and fill it two times a day. Every weekend I burn the coals down to ash and clean out the fire box. Then refill with wood. I work some long hours so having a large coal bed is the best way to make it last for 15-16hrs when its cold.

I also have a CB. I fill the fire box 80-90% full every time, and fill it two times a day. Every weekend I burn the coals down to ash and clean out the fire box. Then refill with wood. I work some long hours so having a large coal bed is the best way to make it last for 15-16hrs when its cold.

For the most part thats what I do.I'll stuff it full in the morning,then just a few logs before going to bed.

Back