OWB Pad Size?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dean06919

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm planning on pouring a pad for my OWB this week. How much larger do you make it than the stove and why? Any tips would greatly be appreciated.

No need to make it any bigger. I made mine about a foot longer in front. I don't really know why. Just seemed the thing to do at the time.

Make it as large as possible. It makes it easy to get around if there is rain and it gets muddy.It is also easy to keep the snow shoveled away for safer loading.And it makes it nice to clean up all the chips and bark that come off of the wood,much easier than digging it out of the grass or gravel.

I don,t see any reason to make it any larger tham 2-4 in larger than the base of the owb but thats maybe because I havent had any reason to change mine in 20 years.

This is my 6048 pad

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have four feet in front of my Taylor. Makes it nice for loading and cleaning ashes. Any mess that falls in front of the stove can easily be washed away.

Thanks for all of the good information.

I decided to offset the stove on the pad so that I have three feet of extra space to the left and front of the stove. This will allow for easy ash removal and a place to stack small pieces of dry wood.

Dean,
I don't think that you will be unhappy with the choice to make the pad that large,I know that I wasn't.Good luck with it.

I did 12x14 with a gable roof (metal of course) over it so when its pouring or snowing I am out of the elements. And I stack a fair amount of wood under it at a time for easy loading before work. Oh yeah and room for a recliner in the summer so we can keep each other company.

Latest posts

Back