OWB story in today's Boston Globe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a biased article. It is misinformation like this that will likely be the demise of all burning.

It appears to me these units were in place before he moved in and should have the right to remain there under the laws of eminent domain. To me he is trying to rationalize his own poor judgment of why he moved there in the first place as he obviously failed to put enough research into the purchase of the home and on the issue of cost who in the hell would use 14 cords in a season to heat a home.

What a biased article. It is misinformation like this that will likely be the demise of all burning.

It appears to me these units were in place before he moved in and should have the right to remain there under the laws of eminent domain. To me he is trying to rationalize his own poor judgment of why he moved there in the first place as he obviously failed to put enough research into the purchase of the home and on the issue of cost who in the hell would use 14 cords in a season to heat a home.

14 cord is on the high side but not out of the question for "some" OWB's. A guy I know used 6 cord in two indoor stoves and changed over too an OWB. He told me he uses about twice the wood he used too use but likes the "convenience" of his OWB.

The bottom line is OWB's are like anything else, they are great for ppl in areas with a lot of open space,and land. If you live in a development, or with houses within 500-1000 ft,you probably shouldnt have one unless its the
new EPA units. If i was the neighbor,Id be mad as :censored: too.
I am putting in a OWB,but i have 22 acres,and the nearest neighbor downwind is over 1/2 mile away,upwind about 1500 ft. We also need a permit to legally install a OWB,which i have obtained.
Thanks to a few ppl lacking common sense and good judgement,we will again all end up suffering. The general population brings this on itself,by not doing what is right,and having any sort of control or ability to do whats right without being forced too.
This is why Govt needs to get involved.Just like with the mortgages,why did millions of grown adults buy more house than they could afford?

I agree that there are somethings that the gov't should regulate. Keeping large corporations in check comes to mind.

The bank bail out comes from the lending institutions making loans to people without the means to complete their obligation in an unstable economy and rising inflation. The banks make money on the interest you pay. When the interest level drops they have to make up for their lack of income, from new loans, by selling more loans. Compund that with people refinancing their old mortgage and the banks make less. So instead of them spending less they sell more. AS far as I care they did it to themselves. Since they were accustomed to getting what they want they were given more money.

When you sweat to earn a living you don't squander your income. I say the gov't should have let them sweat it out.

AS for the story and OWB go the reporter coverd both sides as well as they were capable of doing since they could only see the side they wanted to present. It is my neighbors that would be affected the most if I burned c rap in my heater. None have complained but I try to be considerate and only put in stuff that might smell foul late in the evening and only on a hot fire.

AThose that have the gold get to make the rules. Unfortunately the ones making the rules want the rest of us to be just like they are and don't know jack.

I firmly believe the medias' number 1 goal is not to report the news, it is to sell advertising. That is the way they stay in business. Just read some of the slanted articles and what hair brained conclusions they come up with in their polls.
It is sad.

Latest posts

Back