OWB water hammer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newb

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a Heatmor wood burner that's about 6 years old. This last year I have been getting some serious water hammer at the door. Does anyone know the cause and what I can do to fix it. Thanks Pete

I have witnessed the same problem. Apparently water boils in the door and pushes out the upper valve faster than it can pull it in on intake and this causes the water hammer effect. I don't beleive it is air in the lines if it is happening at the door. Let me know what you find out.

My CB does it when I have a good hot fire. I called CB and they said not to worry about it.

My CB does it when I have a good hot fire. I called CB and they said not to worry about it.

Same here, And I just noticed it after 3 years. Kinda odd all of a sudden, But CB told me the same thing. If it ain't broke........Don't fix it:)

until a pipe comes loose?

if the hammering is as bad as he says, he should install something as suggested by WVwoodsman.

I would agree with mga. If the water hammer shock is excessive it may damage the welds. Not sure how to fix this though except to make sure intake and output lines in door are clear. Maybe they are becoming clogged after time. I would think there would be a fix for this.

My Heatmor will do it on occasion but nothing real bad. Can just hear it through the door. If water level is good I would check the door hoses as mentioned above, not sure how bad yours is but mine is not enough to worry about and not all the time.
Crowbuster

friend has such critter

Claims the fittings on the door plug up.. he says he has to clean the 90s out atleast once a year. Door is actually perking, not water hammering

Claims the fittings on the door plug up.. he says he has to clean the 90s out atleast once a year. Door is actually perking, not water hammering

perculating?

big difference between that and hammering. you could be right tho. hammering happens when the water is abruptly shut off and there is nothing to absorb the energy. i doubt that is his problem and i'm willing to bet it's doing as you said.

does that mean there is too much air in the lines?

My CB does more of a perc type thing, not actually like banging air bound pipes..............

Last edited:
perculating?

big difference between that and hammering. you could be right tho. hammering happens when the water is abruptly shut off and there is nothing to absorb the energy. i doubt that is his problem and i'm willing to bet it's doing as you said.

does that mean there is too much air in the lines?
water is slowly getting into the door. Getting boiled out as steam. Now you have an air trap in the door.The door is now a drum.
Just pull the hose off and run a small piece of wire through the fittings on the door.
Might want to let it cool just a bit before pulling the hoses off though..

Water hammer might be the wrong term. On my CB the water is flashing into steam and makes a banging noise. Sound like someone is hitting the inside of the boiler with a hammer.

Central Boilers have no water in the door. Sorry I should have clarified that.

Back