owb's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babetheblueox

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I wanting to buy a wood boiler I'm looking at shaver, wood doctor, wood master any advice here would help don't want to make a bad buy.

p.s. has anyone heard of earth wood furnace in Missouri how are they

Last edited:
Try search feature here too

Lots of very good discussion in past really helped me

Lots of good info avalable via the search button. Before committing to the purchase of an OWB, please consider proximity to neighbors, zoning restrictions, prevailing winds, etc. Regardless of what any salesman will tell you, feed your OWB as you would any other stove a diet of clean dry well seasoned wood. There is a noticeable difference in performance and emissions.

:cheers:

Lots of good info avalable via the search button. Before committing to the purchase of an OWB, please consider proximity to neighbors, zoning restrictions, prevailing winds, etc. Regardless of what any salesman will tell you, feed your OWB as you would any other stove a diet of clean dry well seasoned wood. There is a noticeable difference in performance and emissions.

:cheers:

:agree2::agree2: Dry wood = happy neighbors:clap:

Beefie

I have a Shaver 165 and am very happy with it.

With that being said, I have to admit I heve made several improvements on it, extra insulation, blower mod, Ranco thermostat, doublewall pipe over the original pipe.

I will also admit that the Shavers are cheaper for a reason. They aren't really plug and play like other OWBs. They need a few extra things done. Although my mods were relatively cheap and easy to do. I like tinkering with it anyway!:)

The Shaver will work right out of the box, but it won't be as efficient without the mods.

Read these if you want to here about what to do to make a Shaver better. Lots to read !

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=81190

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=108544

It seems that just about everyone loves their brand of OWB.

I'll say it again, I like my Shaver, alot!

I like knowing I saved a few thousand $$$ by buyiny it even though I had to make some improvements.

If you are like me and like tinkering with stuff to make it better, get the Shaver. If not, go with one of the other brands that are basically plug and play without any improvements being needed.

And yes, please burn good seasoned wood if you got neighbors.

There are a lot of Woodmaster and Central boiler fans on AS. I don't think you'll be disappointed with either of those brands if an OWB is what you want. I have a Hawken Energy unit and really like it. They have had some reported problems in the past and don't seem to be very popular outside of Michigan though.

Depending on climate and use be prepared to stock pile a lot of wood, especially if you are starting with none. In fact, if you are considering an OWB, start cutting and stacking yesterday. I wish I did. You'll want to be at least a year ahead on your wood for consideration of the neighbors, emissions, and efficiency.

Back