Pa. Outdoor Woodburning ban

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
holy cow!!!! that's a LOT of wood and fuel to heat only 2400sf.
seems where OWB have an advantage is when heating much larger square footage.
like say 2400sf home and a 5,000sf heated shop.

my home which is also 2400sf is very well insulated with seasons not quite as extreme as NY.
4.5 cords is normal with no natural gas usage except to heat hot water. my JUCA fireplace insert while burning very clean is not as efficient as newer EPA rated inside wood stoves. which I suspect would burn less than 3 cords per season in my home.

but that's only speculation, been on the hunt for a modern EPA rated insert large enough to heat my home. would like to try it out for a season so I can compare performance to my JUCA. which is enormous and is super efficient at heat transfer. but not so efficient in delivering long burn times for amount of wood consumed.

I could not pay off my mortgage and rebuild and burn the old place down because
house burning for fire practice is no longer allowed in New York State.

I had a rude awakeing with this house finding out several of the exterior walls
do not have insulation and one bedroom does not have roof joists to hang insulation which is
what we found when the ceiling fell down and exposed the sheet metal roof of the that portion
of the place.

I wanted to add rock wool insulation over the living room and I bought 30 bags of rock wool
30 years ago and I could not do it because ceiling tiles were not secured to ceiling joists
and the insulation is still in the bags up in the attic space above the bathroom which also leaks.

I have never have had the income to make repairs because the estimates for a new
metal roof alone was $40,000.00

Last year and this year until august 28th we spent over $2,000 dollars
on kerosene with the budget plan which we pay over 11 months and we
are on an automatic fill schedule.

I also heat my hot water preheating the water before it enters the propane fired hot water heater.

We were paying over 4 dollars a gallon from September 2010 to August 2011

When I was buying firewood it cost me $185.00 a cord and I managed to
buy 15 cords over the span of one summer.

Blawshack coal was 5 dollars a bag for a fifty pound bag for 2010 of last year and it is 6 dollars
a bag this year.

I bought a ton of Centrailia bagged coal being stove and nut for $220 dollars this summer to save $20 dollars
before the seasonal price increase.

My cut in for the oil boiler which is a Buderous Logana 024 is 160 degrees and I plan on
removing the ignition module to keep that in check during the day.

I have temperature balancing pump that circulates the hot water between the boilers to maintain an even
temperature during the heating season.

This summer I lucked into 25 full cords of oak off my fathers building lot and have been hauling it home with
a 40 mile round trip and have 3 cords left to bring down. I now own a firewood junkyard so to speak.

How far are you from the port and the Coastal Minerals salt mine Cantoo?

leon, I posted a few pics here and this is only part of the damage. If you search abit for tornado in Goderich you will find more pics of the mine and the location where the worker was killed. He was running an unloader and a 900 ton conveyor system fell on top of him, he never even saw the tornado coming over his shoulder. He lived just down the road from me.
http://www.arboristsite.com/off-topic-forum/178922.htm
pic1 is the United church. Going to come down.
pic2 is the evap plant. Total loss.
pic3 street leading to the beach.
pic4 is part of the square, approx 1/5 will be coming down.
pic5 is part of the mine complex. The conveyor that came down is to the right of the picture and the right dome.

Wood oil

leon, that is some story.if i may, i use a northland wood oil boiler.my father put it in 1973 .i have been using it from 1981.this boiler is incredible. 5 to 7 cords ,nov to april.house at 75.endless hot showers.could this kind of inside boiler work for you.in summer very little fuel is used. or shut it of, and go elec.just an idea?.K

Sounds good!

Now partly due to this site I have 10 years worth of electric heat invested in saws, conveyor, splitters, parts, tractor and buckets. I'm to the point where I'm gonna have to live and burn wooduntil I'm 100 in get my investment back.

Sounds like a good plan to me! HAHAHAHA..I bet you get going more and eventually start selling as well as just burning, then you'll not only have your heat, but some coin in the pocket as well as paid off equipment...

Happened very near to me. Neighbor battle over one's outdoor wood stove led to the ban on OUTDOOR stoves in that township. Man who had the stove simply put one of those cheap metal buildings around it and cut a hole for the stack. Now it's indoors. If they do pass these laws in your areas, look for the loopholes.

wood wood wooood:^)

leon, that is some story.if i may, i use a northland wood oil boiler.my father put it in 1973 .i have been using it from 1981.this boiler is incredible. 5 to 7 cords ,nov to april.house at 75.endless hot showers.could this kind of inside boiler work for you.in summer very little fuel is used. or shut it of, and go elec.just an idea?.K

Hello Bayard,

I would have bought a Tarm unit way back when if I had
seen a Tarm coal fired unit for sure.

If I am financially able to I will be replacing this boiler
with a Harmon 360 as I am sure this boilers days are
numbered even though I have pressurised system.

I hope to purchase the Tarm storage for the system as well.

The town council in Sligo, Pa meets in an old brick(former school) building with a old time coal furnace for heat. Black smoke pouring out of the chimney while they decide that town residents can no longer use outdoor wood burning stoves to heat their homes. I think it is terribly hypocritical. Also, I think we need to start over from 1776 and make some changes.

Sligo. Wow small world. I live in Hillville Pa. We live about 15 min from each other. Are they really going to ban them in Sligo?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

I'm fairly certain they already have. I'm in Rimersburg, grew up in Sligo. We probably don't know each other but it is interesting to get a response from someone local.

The town council in Sligo, Pa meets in an old brick(former school) building with a old time coal furnace for heat. Black smoke pouring out of the chimney while they decide that town residents can no longer use outdoor wood burning stoves to heat their homes. I think it is terribly hypocritical. Also, I think we need to start over from 1776 and make some changes.

plus these are probably the same types,,that enjoy acting like gods to push their agenda...do as they say,,not as they do...:msp_rolleyes::msp_rolleyes::msp_rolleyes:

Back