Pacific Madrone Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riddler

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My place 10 miles from the California coast has a number of mature Pacific Madrone mixed in with the Coast Redwoods, Douglas Fir, California Laurel and various Oak trees. The Pacific Madrone is a personal favorite of mine, so I would like to learn how to maintain and (hopefully) propagate them.

I am concerned about the condition of the madrones on my property, however. There are two reasons for this. First, on many specimens, the bark is almost completely peeled off beginning several feet up the trunks. There does not seem to be any canker growth or other surface abnormalities, simply the smooth, exposed trunk and branch surfaces without the bark. On most of the trees, there seem to be anywhere from a few to many branches with little or no leaf growth, with a number completely blackened and looking (for all purposes) dead. I suspect that all of the trees are relatively old as well, which leads to my next concern/observation.

Perhaps I am not looking in the right places, but I don't seem to be able to spot any younger trees among the 30 or more mature ones that are spread around the property. How is it that a number of these trees could have established themselves long ago and, yet, not seemed to replace (or grow) their numbers at all over time? For sure, each of the trees has plenty of competition from the others I mentioned above. Would clearing out some of the competition (which would mean destroying some mature redwoods, firs or oaks) greatly improve the condition and future reproducution of my madrone population? I believe the area was heavily logged 100+ years ago, so I am speculating that the growth in the population of these trees on my property occured then, but has since stalled with the re-emergence of the taller conifers.

In addition to improving the competitive situation for as many of the remaining specimens as I can, I am interested in trying to propogate some new trees that can be planted to areas of the property where there is less competition presently from the other species of trees. Any input on that issue would be much appreciated as well.

nice link glen.
riddler, do you have any pics? is this what were talking about...if it si, idont think they have much bark at all, ever. :)

Glen, very helpful link indeed. The paper provides considerable information that I can use to develop some approaches to the conditions at my site. In particular, it provides some information that I can use to promote the establishment of new trees (which, as far as I can tell, is not happening on its own at the present time). Also, given the blackened branches that many of the specimens have, I believe that the fungus deseases first mentioned in the pathology section of the paper may be a problem at my site.

Jason, I will post some photos. It is a little difficult to make out enough detail from the photos you posted to make a positive I.D., but I believe we are talking about the same tree. The specimens I am dealing with, which are larger (and presumably older) than the one in your picture, appear to have bark of sorts at the base of the trunk, but progressively less the farther up the trees you go. Are these trees supposed to be devoid of noticeable bark on the upper trunk and branches?

I worked in Northern Cal as a climber. There are places in Marin County(just north of San Francisco) where whole slopes of Madrones are dead. Combined with sudden oak death it can very depressing. I was always told that Madrones don't like people and they dont like being climbed. I tend to believe that because of how many were dying on peoples properties and by roads. I hear that they are hard to propigate and harder to transplant. Their bark peels off and grows back in a yearly cycle. So some peeling is natural. They hold their deadwood. I would not recommend climbing them if you want to keep them. I have seen some excellent turned bowls made from madrone. It is also one of the best burning firewoods on the coast.

Good Luck with you trees

City of Seattle's forester had some problems with die-offs a few years back. They had been asking about soil ammendments but I never got my hands on tissue. Might try to websearch them out.

City of Seattle's forester had some problems with die-offs a few years back. They had been asking about soil ammendments but I never got my hands on tissue. Might try to websearch them out. There are isolated Madrones in Texas elevations, here called the "naked lady" for the absense of bark.

010.jpg- the one growing next to the oak- is about 55' tall. 16"dbh. the bark is quite thin and flaky and ceases about 8' above the ground. i think this is fairly typical for that particular species. they are in my front yard so will post some close-ups of the trunk tomorrow...

Glen, another great link. Thanks much.

OM, you're right about how good a finished wood madrone can be, and how good it burns when it's seasoned. It beats the seasoned Doug Fir, Oak and Laurel for fuel wood on my property. Those characteristics, combined with its distinctive and very attractive look, prompts me to want to maintain and (hopefully) expand them a bit at my place.

Back