part time faller...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chucker

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
? anyone know what the going pay rate is for an experienced hardwood tree faller? sited here in northern Minnesota, and having been out of the game for about 10 years as a hired faller! I will be cutting red/white oaks as well as larger big tooth poplar/aspen. handling all my own insurance's, plus daily working expenses.... working an average of 25 hours a week along the cutting boundaries or in field, feller bunchier has a capacity of 28" so I will be cutting from there. I was quoted a sizeable increase from the last working out pay scale(10 years ago 12..00 an per cord for pople/aspen and 16.00 for pine spices).... falling will mostly consist of dropping, limbing, weakening any larger forks for skidding ease with the possibility of removing the first saw bolt length... any help as to pay scale will be greatly appreciated! "THANKS" in advance! chucker

I am from wisconsin all of my work is along the mississippi river valley. The only flat place is where you park the skidder at the end of the day. We are a contract crew for a few select timber companies. We hand cut every thing there is a market for. Mechnical harvestors do not work in the terrain we have. We get paid buy the board ft. the more you get done the more you get paid. On the average 8 hour day my cutter gets about 400.00

started working for 30.00 per hour for the first 41 hours so far. ended up with a tree count of 140 red oaks/big tooth poplar, so not to bad for a 57 year old fat man with a ten year vacation? this is some of the wood that was processed from the cutting along with the processor. the forwarder was away when I had the camera.. it is also a fabtek 2 cord bunk.....

Attachments

• IMG_6413.JPG
    IMG_6413.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_6414.JPG
    IMG_6414.JPG
    182.6 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_6415.JPG
    IMG_6415.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_6416.JPG
    IMG_6416.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_6418.JPG
    IMG_6418.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_6419.JPG
    IMG_6419.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_6420.JPG
    IMG_6420.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_6421.JPG
    IMG_6421.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_6422.JPG
    IMG_6422.JPG
    171.7 KB · Views: 85
I am from wisconsin all of my work is along the mississippi river valley. The only flat place is where you park the skidder at the end of the day. We are a contract crew for a few select timber companies. We hand cut every thing there is a market for. Mechnical harvestors do not work in the terrain we have. We get paid buy the board ft. the more you get done the more you get paid. On the average 8 hour day my cutter gets about 400.00

I always figured there would be some fun logging out your way. I cut in the SE part of the state. Mostly flat here except for the kettle moraine and occaisional rolling hills. You guys aren't doing pulp out that way are you?

I pay 35 per mbf but thats buckin in the woods. 17 bucks per cord pulp. 7-8mbf plus the pulp (maybe 8 cords) is a good 6-7 hour day. Depending on size of timber, volume per acre, **** ya gotta swim through. Just bucking logs I've done 10-12mbf in big hard maple ( 8 hour day). Add another thou or so to that for any other species. Its hard maple for a reason.

Just heard one of the timber companies here would pay 70 a thousand for a top notch hardwood faller. Not sure what the pulp rate would be, but for that wage you might be pulpin for free.

I won't even get out of bed for less than 80 a thousand, but then again, I'm a bottom notch faller

I'm in se ohio... 150 a day 8hrs with there saw an some will give u 200 a day with ur saw an they rest want to do 100 lmao
A lot of the work is mountain goat ground also an that's cuttig an topping unless you get on a logging crew with a chipper then it's just hammer them down

I'm in se ohio... 150 a day 8hrs with there saw an some will give u 200 a day with ur saw an they rest want to do 100 lmao
A lot of the work is mountain goat ground also an that's cuttig an topping unless you get on a logging crew with a chipper then it's just hammer them down

It's interesting how the wages change with locale. Out here if you offered an experienced faller 200 a day to work steep ground...yarder or helicopter show...they'd just laugh at you and walk off.

It's interesting how the wages change with locale. Out here if you offered an experienced faller 200 a day to work steep ground...yarder or helicopter show...they'd just laugh at you and walk off.
I know crazy huh... Ofcourse there a lot of hardwood timber an soft wood but we cut for skidders... Which is always on ur ass waiting for trees... An to think I love it haha

That's another reason I would love to come out there an work.. An to say I have ofcourse an see what it's like to log for Yarders an so on

Latest posts

Back