Patching woodstove "floor" with refractory cement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I just shop-vaced the layer of ash that I keep on the "floor" of my woodstove throughout the burning season to inspect the stove, and I noticed that some of the cement had chipped away. It's not deep at all, and not a really big area, so I bought some refractory cement to patch it with. It seems like a simple straight-forward job, but I thought I should ask for any advice. It says to clean the area to be patched, wet it slightly and apply the cement and allow at least 24 hours to dry, then break-in with a small fire. I assume that this small fire is similiar to one that would be used to break-in a new stove. Any advice? It seems simple enough!

I did the job today and it couldn't have been easier! Used Rutland pre-mixed refractory cement and it spread like butter with a putty knife. Now just have to let it dry, and then cure it with a small fire. I thought that it would be pretty straight-forward and it was! :jester:

Glad to hear

I figured it would be easy enough that you would not need my help. should last many years

I figured it would be easy enough that you would not need my help. should last many years

Thank you-appreciate your reply! It says to wait at least 24 hours and then break-in with a small fire. I'll probably let it dry for a few days then do that; it's finally getting to be more seasonable weather here! Didn't need the stove going for the past few weeks as we had a very warm spell here in Eastern PA.

Latest posts

Back