Pathology

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphy4trees

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Anyone know any good sites that will be useful and easy to use for disease diagnosis and treatment. Seems like a lot of new diseases are cropping up. Global warming is a possible factor. If the Asian longhorned beetle gets out of NY or Chicago, we could be looking at America the desert....God forbid.
So any recommendations and info would be appreciated and if you can't post 'em due to site rules, please send me a PM or email.
Also as a topic for this thread... what kind of new diseases are you all seeing out there? I know Marin County and other areas in Ca. have lost a huge amount of oaks to Sudden Oak Death, which has since been renamed Oak mortality syndrome. That seems similar to oak wilt, which has hit Texas hard over the last 20? years or so.
Here in PA. seems like a lot of ashes are dying. Leaf scortch I heard. Always thought ash was pretty disease resistant. They are taking it hard now. Hope we don't loose them all.
Thanks.
God Bless All,
Daniel

This is a sensitive issue.

Debate rages and careers are admonished over drawing connections to climate changes and die-offs. Industry pretty much dictates what we hear but eyesight and experience tells us different.

Working with both the die-off syndrome in California and here in Texas regarding oaks, it's fundamentally clear that chemical changes in the soil resulting from acidic fallout originating at point-source nitric acid and sulfur dioxide emissions is to blame, only a chemical industry dinosaur with faulty data bases would disagree.

To draw connections to industry and lifestyle and plant disease epidemics is to unpatriotically question the American way of life but pitifully truth is here and we're facing it square on.

Path labs worldwide with chemical fund influence are busy isolating specific fungal, insect, viral and bacterial threats and treatments (therapeutic) are being bottled and sold at unprecedented volume - good for the homeowner but sadly ineffective for the forests. Epidemic studies take the good manpower and limit responses to treatments instead of studying the root source, as any human health epidemiology should function, instead, we're inundated with marketing on the latest expensive (re: "ask your doctor about...") treatments. Like the war against terror, reaction instead of intelligence. In the war to stop terror, we're certainly going to make more enemies. In the war against plant diseases, we're certainly going to be seeing more diseases, as long as the root cause isn't addressed.

I have hundreds of sites I use in my work - sharing data from tree ring studies to air quality in the metro basins, past disease studies implicating climate changes, even slight. Cultural changes that influence epidemics like monoculture, hybid (disease susceptable) changes in the hosts inviting imbalance in rhizospheric profiles, overuse of pest-specific biocides that kill-off beneficial organisms, the studies of ecology and changes to biomes and what that represents. Etc. Etc. Etc. The information is everywhere except industry rags - ISA included.

UC Berkeley is a good start with disease research - the funding is govt., not industry. Texas A&M is not so good a place to look, as CIBA and DOW have research centers on campus as well as job prospects for the investigating post-grad. Bias is heard loudly as evident in the failed advocacy of ALAMO for oak wilt, 20 years later and higher doses the die-offs are worse than ever.

I'll spend some time tonight highlighting sites for you, got some climbing to do today (oak wilt killed trees). Are you sure you want to enter this pursuit? It can get pretty sad and pitiful, trust me.

Oakwilt,
Thanks for the reply. There is a lot there. And if I may tell a life story.
I had a beloved friend who had metastatic breast cancer in 1988. She died 3/6/93. During the years of her illness I studied cancer, especially alternative treatments, with great passion. That area of interest lead to many awarenesses, many of which you may have come to as well. Along the way I noticed many similarities between the concepts and teachings of holistic health and tree care. And that is an important and secondary point here.
The main point here is that the truths I discovered as a result of that love and passion were terrible. Terrible beyond words. It was like finding Pandora’s Box open in my living room. Disillusioned, angry, and dazed by these truths... then deep sadness. How to contain this information while my friends and family were still under the spell of American culture.
So yes I believe we’ve all been lied to. Anyone ever study Chomsky's theories of thought control in a democratic society? The truths of tree diseases may also show the lies we've been fed, to those that can brave to open that door. So I hear you when you ask me if I Am sure I want to know. "Do you want the blue pill or the red pill?"

Notice in the original post I said global warming "may be a factor"... that is far from saying it is a cause, like many would have us believe. On the other hand what is the difference between acid rain and global warming? Soil composition effects tree health.. Droughts and unprecedented hot summers stress trees... no hard frosts allow diseases to thrive. And the cause is all the same. Our culture has forgotten how to live in balance with Sacred Mother Earth. So there are consequences.. You might even consider them wake up calls. Unfortunately it doesn't appear that too many are awake, as the American public just nods to the beat of Bush's war drums.
Trees and grasses make the difference between lush, fertile ground and a desert wasteland. The high plains of the southwest were rich grasslands before the great cattle drives. Lose the trees now and there could be a bigger price to pay. So your post has me thinking again about all these earthly matters... the truth is hard.
And along the way I have also been blessed to find some higher truths as well. More powerful and wonderful than any earthly matter. These allow me to walk this path with optimism.
And all truths are there for anyone to find. Just open your mind and awareness, and ask.

God Bless All,
Daniel

altered environment and use of non site specific material is the greatest factor in landscape pest problems.

Use of organic compounds to allow the tree to ficgt off problems naturaly is the best way to go in our current state of ignorance. Hence my regular pronouncments on seaweed juice.

In the event of a true infestation then judiciouse use of industrial chemicals may be warrented for control.

(aka oakwilt)

M4Tr's:

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. I've lost many as well.

My lymphoma (nine years ago) was terminal, yr of chemo made it worse, bone marrow transplant trial I qualified for killed 49 of the 50 participants, leaving me. At the time, and still today immunotherapy and gene suppression are considered voodoo, but the patients I refer live, period. Worked for me, works for them yet federally approved therapies are prehistoric, brutal, and deadly. Cancer research is fundamentally limited to proposals endorsed, funded, and practiced by severly limited protocols but highly supported by funding institutions like the ACS, AMA, and of course the insurance industry.

Cancer is curable. So are epidemics, but root cause has to be examined and treated, no matter the consequences because time has come that die-offs and atmospheric degredation have accelerated beyond remediation yet still industrial proponents silence any condemning corelations to squeeze the last bit of profit out of the "anything goes" corporate mentality. I guess it's just a choice between big bucks from WalMart marketing or having some semblence of a future for us and ours.

I sadly but excitedly found that American health care is far behind the sciences from other experts in other countries, researchers who don't wear blinders suggesting quantifying drugs to treatments, rather, treatments based on response and less toxicity to the host. Treatments that consider root cause of the neoplasm first, then instigating the body's own defensive measures against the ravaged cell programs.

Our oak wilt work parallels the inequities of human health care insofar as the mainstream path research is limited to chemical introductions, not immune/response studies. Still in Texas, the science maintains that trees have no immune system and soil plays no role in tree nutrition other than a supportive mechanical medium. This is flawed science yet is considered top of the industry.

Keep on keeping on bro, there's a wind of change ablowin. I just hope it comes sooner than later.

Wilt.

Transcriptionase inhibitors - promising new programming available to those who think. To all other's it's survival from intellect, death by ignorance.

About time Popeye, selectionism has been too kind to fools.

Check-out the pubMed database on inhibitors, it shows the area of the brain on right-leaning characteristics identical to serial killer's scans. Can a opportunistic viral threat also detect the open door/invitation? The Pentagon knows, wonder how long before someone else does?

Beware, the edicts carved in stone after Nuremburg still stand. If it wasn't so humorous for me I'd be blown-away.

Just IFTM, all other's reach for another round.

Originally posted by oakwilt
... overuse of pest-specific biocides that kill-off beneficial organisms, the studies of ecology and changes to biomes and what that represents. Etc. Etc. Etc. The information is everywhere except industry rags - ISA included.

You're right, but if a readable article was written, with verifiable facts, I think AN and TCI would consider it. To me the bottom line of dealing with air and soil toxicity is mulch, mulch, mulch, and consider organic boosters like JPS talks about.

Are you sure you want to enter this pursuit? It can get pretty sad and pitiful, trust me.
It can get very depressing. Pruning and removal are so clean and straightforward (well maybe that business of nodes as natural targets is not so automatic to follow). but maybe what murph is after is to be a part of the solution too.

murph,
some excellent resources would be your state dept of agriculture (with whom you may need to get a liscence from if you intend to apply pesticides legally). also your state extension agency. these two resources should have valuable web pages or at least some links to help you. also you need two books...diseases of trees and shrubs , and insects that feed on trees and shrubs. both from the same publisher and sorry i dont have the books at home to get you the authors. someone else here has those books as well im sure, maybe they have the author available.

I noticed alot of trees looking bad . I have seen willow oaks and pinoaks looking bad this summer . willow oaks are a pretty strong tree, maybe it could be the record amout of rain we have had. Do willow oaks get the same bact leafsch as pinoaks do_One company i know chem ferts every problem they have,sometimes i think thats like putting wood on the fire.I think it kills the beneorg.in the soil.Organics are the way to go. the envioment is changing.Take a pill NOT .My wife is getting degree in alt med.The doctor told her to take a pill and almost killed her.:angry:

Originally posted by bushman
I have seen willow oaks and pinoaks looking bad this summer . willow oaks are a pretty strong tree, maybe it could be the record amout of rain we have had. Do willow oaks get the same bact leafsch as pinoaks do.
Same here; the browning sometimes looks like scorch and sometimes anthracnose. I sent in some leaves to the clinic. Will treat some with cambistat this fall; good anecdotal success with both diseases.

also you need two books...diseases of trees and shrubs , and insects that feed on trees and shrubs. both from the same publisher and sorry i dont have the books at home to get you the authors. someone else here has those books as well im sure, maybe they have the author available.

Cornell University Press - Sinclare, Lyon and Johnson

Back