Patio Installation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proj Eng

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I’m putting in a patio, was doing a lot of digging last night. By my calculations, I’ve moved about 75 cubic ft of dirt (by hand shoveling and wheel barrow). My question is this... I have a nice very healthy maple tree about 14" dbh that is 'nearly' between my house and our neighbor's (I'll add pictures as soon as I can). During digging, I have encountered some roots, though nothing larger than a 1/2" in diameter and I have damaged some. Will this drastically effect the tree's ability to get water? Plus, i plan on putting down some screenings for a foundation for the bricks, wondering if that will hamper the tree's health/watering at all? The patio size is approx 14' x 14' and I'm digging down about 6". The houses and some sidewalk's concrete are under approx 50% of the canopy and I'm digging right under about where another 15% of the canopy is.

Generally speaking any time you encounter a root be sure to cut it cleanly before you backfill it. If it going to be exposed the the air it would be wise to cover it with a damp towel, rag, paper or the like to prevent it from drying out.

Pictures with some sort of scale would be nice

Brian

I will get some photos of it on here tonight.
So you are saying that cutting the roots completely is better than just burying them under where I plan to build? If it heaves in 15 years, I don't care as I probably won't be there that long anyway. However, I wouldn't like to mess with it again in 5-10 years if I can help it. Plus, I want to minimize any root damage to the tree.

By "encounter" I meant dug up during your grading. (sorry for being vague)

A rule of thumb widely used is you should not cut (excavate) a root any closer than 3 times the radius of the tree (on one side only). The Ideal distance from the tree is 5 times the radius or more.

If you are concerned about roots heaving the patio then you may want to consider installing a Root Barrier. In theory it supposed to prevent/deflect roots (as it name implies).

Soil type and tree species have a lot to do with trying to predict how and where a trees roots may go.

My greatest concern (without seeing the site) is soil compaction. I would not recommend using/operating equipment within the drip line of the tree. Even repeated trips with a wheel barrow will compact the soil to a point where it will/maybe detrimental to the trees long term health.

Brian

Not worried about compacted soil. The tree has been doing exceptionally well with our extremely dry weather this year and the soil was as dry and hard as a clay pot in a kiln (and was untouched... let me put it this way, If I hit it hard with a hammer, I'd make about a 1/4" dent in the soil). The sod cutter I rented was used for 15 minutes to 'skim' 1 inch of sod off the top which fell apart in my hands as I tried to roll it up. What a joke. Also, part of the reason for me putting a patio in this area was because the grass grew so poorly, it was a constant dirt area for most of the year. I can't imagine because of that reason the tree would be getting a lot of its water from this area. Pictures to come soon.

A few examples of what I was tralking about above...
Photo 2: My hand is a little over 9" from thumb to smallest finger. So I guess the tree is a little bigger than what i described above.

Last edited:
A couple more,
Like the wires I have to deal with? I don't!

And the last photo, see if you can guess which root is from a Maple tree?

Back