pay scale

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I realize this doesn't actually pertain to saws but I was reading some older threads on pay scales and was wondering what the consensus is amongst the rest of you regarding pay. From what I have read brush guys get $7-$8 now is that all they do is drag brush or is lowering, tipping, breaking, bucking all part of brush work? How bout ground foreman? Climbers? One response to that older thread stated a salary of 55k -75k for a licensed arborist/climber? Does this sound right? Or is this what could be made owning one's own business? Pro's and con's of unions?? What are your thoughts!!!

None of us are good enough at what we love to do to get paid for it. I would post this in the "Commercial Tree care and Climbing" section

Sounds like your boss is happy with your progress, but does he pay you well?

If someone has worked for me three years, he would have become awesome on the ground, he would be a good pruner, and he would be climbing, if he wanted to. I'd be paying him very well, between 18-30 per hour, on the jobsite, no benefits, as i'm lazy about that stuff.

Occasional help get 100-120 per day, more if they are good. if not, they dont get called for more work unless I'm hard up some morning.

But my pay scale is not the norm. I learned long ago that a good gman should be rewarded. Back in 1975, my first two days doing tree work, I made 60, then 80 bucks. The crew split 40%, and the other two climbers realized that I was worth it, right off the bat. They gave me 12%, almost a even split. (I'd been a landscape foreman, and had done a bit of tree climbing, and was a good pruner.) Ever since then, I've pretty much either been paid on the percentage method, or done the same with my guys. It rewards hard work. Good guys dont cut corners either to get the job done faster, they appreciate the good money and do good, thorough work.

actually he doesn't pay all that well, I get $100 plus wood, which I buck up and haul away in my truck, so I think he's making out. What got me thinking was last year we did a job, just the two of us and it took about 4 days I got my $400 but what killed me was the job was for $5000, I'm busting my donkey taking care of him... and I just thought I would be worth a bit more

you would have made $1000, if I was the boss, on that one. maybe less, if you got several cord of wood- figure worth no more than $50 per cord, before moving, split stack and dry.

Greedy guy, I'd say.

actually I didn't get any of that wood we had to call in a local tree guy who had a logging truck to take that wood away. Right after that big job we did another large one 24 maples again that was around 5k. Don't get me wrong I love the guy, comes over for picnics and he's the first one I would call if I need to get out and have a few over a couple of games of pool. He's very safety conscience and has taught me a great deal, but I have noticed when we stop and visit other local tree guys they have 3 or even 4 ground guys most of them with their thumb up there ??? and I'm wondering what I should do??? But since then I've gotten bit by a tick and was pretty useless (lyme disease) for about 6 months now I just work for him on Saturdays and I watch my little girl full time.... I want to get back to work soon maybe as soon as next spring and I'm wondering what avenue to take (I'm seriously looking at city or state line work)

I've really thought about going the % route, but then I came to my senses. No one that works for me shares in my pain or expenses when things go bad. If all they are doing is showing up and doing what is expected (I expect a good job, hard days work) then I typically pay $100 per day or $150 at the top end if we had a great day and I made a lot of money. Ground work is Dragging brush, ground cutting, running the ropes, loading logs, go git stuff. When my guys ask how much I sold the job for I tell them, and on quite a few occasions they thought they were getting screwed because I happend to make out like a bandit and they got regular pay. I then remind them of the many jobs (too many!) that have gone bad where I lost money or worked my a$$ of for a net of $50 per day, while they STILL made regular pay. Also, think about:
-How did the job come to you?
-Who is paying for the insurance?
-Who has to pay the taxes?
-Who keeps the saws running?
-Who's saws are being used?
-Who's truck is being used?
-Who is paying dump fees?
-on and on and on

I am the financial risk taker, so I am the one who gets the reward. They have a job that they get paid for, good or bad.

My pay rates are at the high end of the average for this area.

Greg

greg I agree and totally understand your point, but i'm under the table, so there's no worker's comp and he is on his wifes health insurance policy, yes he has a truck and chipper payment along with biz insurance and probably 5k in saws but he also made 6 figures last year do you know how much I made and keep in mind for some of the year it was just me if I were lucky I had one other guy on the ground... if this sounds fair okay and if it is fair I think I need to look at other alternatives because I can't bust my ??? with no insurance for that kinda pay

that's the problem I feel guilty asking for more money, I hope and wish he would just offer because he sees how I work and I still believe that should speak for itself. If a groundman makes $7-$8 then I'm ahead of the game and I need to take the next step whether that's learning to climb or operating logging equipment and looking for a union job

Man, am I glad there's no ticks out our way. That lyme disease sounds like a real drag. i grew up back east, and didnt think much of ticks then either....

When you're ready to go back to work, sit down with the "boss", and ask for workman's comp, or at least health insurance and a guarantee of help if you are hurt. Then ask for a big raise, say 15-19% of every job, or 10-13 % if the crew is three men.

Most of the time, I run a three or four man crew, with three of us available to climb if the job calls for it, say a pruning job. With a big technical removal, two to three men on the ground is a must. Neither of my regular climbers mind doing ground work.

Ground work is so important, the job can't get done efficiently without good teamwork. That is why a competent climber often makes the best gman. That is why I enjoy being on the ground, as I can, if needed, teach and/or direct the guys, or at least know what they will need before they call for it. Plus, I always need the exercise.

ya the tick thing sucked. I couldn't use my hands at all. Do you know how embarassing it is when you are grocery shopping and you are running into displays I couldn't close my hands, my grandfather was out working me and because of the lay up I gained 30 lbs. I was useless!!! We already talked about insurance and thats a no no as for the increase, RB you seem to be very generous and that's not the norm!!!

If I ever move to Seattle you will be the first guy I look up!!!!

in CT i think you should be taking home a little more than 7-8 dollars an hour for what your doing. i'm in nyc and (mexicans get 80.00 a day). for a brush dragger with drivers license the pay kind of tops out at 135.00 a day. we brake it down to 4 catagories. brush draggers, drivers- chipper operators/ brush draggers, rope men that run saws, and climbers. if you have a drivers license and can run ropes well and run a big saw well you should be getting around 150 a day in CT. i'm mainly a climber but when i work on the ground running ropes or running a saw i get 175.00 a day. climbers by me can make very good money, almost more than the business owners in some case's. never feel bad about asking for a raise, the worst he could say is no. how long did you have the lyme disease before you were diagnosed with it?

I make a bit more than $8 It's $100 a day sometimes I work 7 hrs sometimes I work 12 hrs. I run ropes, chipper, brush and handle the saw. Picture 2 guys one in the tree and me!

As for the bite it took about 5 days before my back started killing me, I mean it felt like I burnt it on a muffler and after the heat subsided it felt like I really bruised some ribs. Went to the doctor and he said it was a spider bite and gave me some antibotics in the mean time the redness went away but the other symtoms were getting worse. Like my hands I couldn't pull on the ropes and I was dropping brush like crazy! I just thought it was the heat, then I started forgeting stuff and my whole body started aching. after being of the antibotics for one week the redness came back and it was huge!!! Whole half my back with the dreaded bulls eye right in the center. I got worse before i got better. Although the disease itself was out of my system after taking the right medication the symptoms lingered on for about 6 months, in which I was lucky they say that it can take years before you feel well again. There were days I couldn't even get up out of bed. One instance I actually had to crawl to the bathroom.

Hi jhr, I`ll see if I can shed any insight from my perspective, hopefully it helps. When you are talking arborists and line clearance trimmers, you are talking two different animals, at least in my neck of the woods. It would be purely coincidental to have an arborist on a trimming crew, not that those skills would hurt you, but other than being able to identify species so that you know their growth rates to know how far back to trim them, most of your skills would be wasted. Having a chemical applicators license is a plus in many cases, as is having at least a class B CDL.. So now you should decide whether or not you are going to obtain actual arborists training or dispense with the formalities and immediately try to get in with a utility. A note about going right to a utility is in order. I believe that Niagara Mohawk, a National Grid subsidiary, is the only utility in the Northeast who employ there own tree trimmers. All others, including NiMo work extensively with contractors. If you were in NiMo territory and you were a contract trimmer, you can often circumvent the union rules on hiring and come right in as a trimmer, often above the starting payrate also. So I`m not saying that you can`t get on with a utility as a trimmer, just that the opportunities are very limited, but in many cases supervisors for the trimmers are hired from the contract ranks. Obviously you will need a great deal of experience and knowledge if this is your plan. All utilities that I`m aware of hire general laborers, not tree related, and you would probably be surprised to find out what they pay, so get in a utility if you can. Generally speaking, utilities pay at the topend of the scale in a given area and also have all the medical benefits and 401ks and so forth. Even with market deregulation it will take years before utilities balance the wages and benefits with outside entities performing similar work. The guy I referred to in the other post, making $30 an hour actually makes about $27 + bennys which equals about 34% in this case, medical, dental, optical, life, death and dismemberment insurance as well as company contributions to the 401k and soft benefits like paid vacation and sick time, oh yeah, 6 months full pay disability too. This is not me typing this to you, this is your subconscious mind speaking,"GO UTILITY". If you can`t at this time, try municipal, they generally have decent pay and good benefits without working themselves to death in most cases. Next I would suggest working for a clearance contractor, at least to learn the ropes well, and then you may be able to hang out your own shingle to bid against them. Be forewarned though, you will work your a$$ of as a contractor. They normally get the jobs where you can`t get a bucket in, but you will be a skilled climber, LOL. The utility guys here in NiMo country typically do the high profile stuff from the side of the road from their buckets and using shiny new equipment. A funny thing has come to my attention though about buckets, apparently more guys are freaked out from being 56' in the air in a bucket than the number bothered by spiking their way up a tree that high. It`s all perception for the most part, I have seen a few bucket trucks laying on their sides, usually down an embankment. That`s got to be an exciting ride, LOL. But you are still better off strapped in than not. If you can, get someone to let you go up in a bucket while they fly it from the ground, if you aren`t OK with it, you can stop right there before you invest too much time trying to get the job. On the other hand, if buckets and heights, up to the 105' towers, don`t bother you, see if you can get in somewhere as a line mechanic apprentice. Oh yeah almost forgot to mention high voltage, up to 345,000 volts around here, but that`s less likely to get you than a fall. There is a nationwide shortage of line mechanics with some utilities paying 10 - 20k dollar sign on bonuses and relocation expenses. Once you are a journeyman line mechanic you can expect to make in the neighborhood of 6 figures on a regular basis, and much more in a good storm year. Keep in mind that neither of the jobs I`ve mentioned is a good fit for a person who doesn`t have good safety habits and a reasonably good attention span. Sorry this was so long winded, Russ

I think a guy who works his people hard for less then the local going rate is a jerk. Here in the Milwaukee metro area you start at 12 an hour.

Granted we are hearing only your side of the story, but anyone who works in this industry for a few months has to have something going for them. Most micro companies I know go through groundies like nothing. Winnowing the chaff to find the person that works right for them.

I believe W/C coverage is manditory, he is screwing you by paying a pitance and then not covering your risk of injury.

My advice is to find another company to work for now that you have some skills to market.

Russ can you elborate on a line mechanics duties? Do you work on buckets, trucks and chippers? Are they union too?

guys thanks for the support and I don't want to sound like I'm trashing him hellva guy!!! It's his company, he's the only employee technically and he is looking for cheap help. He does go through a ton of groundman and I stayed with it last year because I was thinking of making a career out of this. I love the work and being outside (chef by trade and I left a decent job to work with him) He has taught me alot and like I mentioned earlier wants to become partners. (i'm leaning towards no, at least with him) As for were I'm located in the Bristol/Southington area I don't know what job site I actually got bit on, but I think it was Southington. So I like the work and I think I'm a good worker so I would like to set up a plan as to what avenue I'm going to take when I'm ready to get back to work!!! Sorry guys but union doesn't sound so bad

The union has it's ups and downs I work for davey tree and my wage is about 16.35 with our cost of living raise . Not bad by any means but when you look at the lazy gomer next to you who does not have half of the experience and making the same wage , you do become disheartened :confused: :eek:

Latest posts

Back