pay scale

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few years ago I lived/worked in a low wage area. I had a guy who would help me on his days off from his regular job. I started out paying him $8 per hour and buying his lunch. He was VERY good. I switched(after discussing it w/him) to giving him 20% of the job. It meant that if I had a rotten day he still got his $8 per hour and if I had a good day he did much better. We both were happy. :cool:

JHR, if you are bringing somthing to the game you deserve more than normal/average which sounds like what you are getting. You sould like a good worker and smart guy, I can't get any of my guys to learn on their own, and the fact that you are here learning new things, and expanding your knowledge of the industry says a lot about you as a person and a professional. I am also close with my guys -we eat/drink together off the job. You should be able to have business conversations apart from your friendship.
I'd just explain to your boss that you feel like you add a lot of value to his business and you want to get paid more money. I'd explain how you enjoy working for him, and that you don't want to go to another company, but you do need to make more money, and if that is just not possible with him that you will have to take a closer look at your options with other businesses. Knee jerk reaction from a boss is to say no -you are getting paid fairly, don't like it tough luck. I'd have the conversation with him, and tell him that you'd like him to think about it over a weekend or somthing, and have a follow up conversation with him later. You don't want to put him in a position where he thinks he needs to respond to you without fulling thinking it over.
Good luck!
Greg

Sounds like a communication situation.
You're bustin it, thinking the boss should see that and offer you a raise. He might be thinking you're a happy camper.. just look at how hard you work.
Can you imagine how corporate execs would handle a union that just waited for someone to offer them a raise?
So here is a universal truth. "ASK and ye shall receive".
And it sounds like Lyme has changed your world for now... I've been there.
God Bless All,
Daniel

thanks for your comment greg, I appreciate it!!! There's alot more that going on with him but I don't want to get into that and I don't want to trash my friend/boss but after having a couple of comments from the pro's including yourself, it only confirms what I was thinking. I think it's probably best just to remain good friends and leave the headaches to someone else

Dan,

Yeah the lyme disease had me pretty scared!! It's worked out well though, I'm just itchin to work full time again!!!

If you had workman's comp.. would that have coverred your medical and downtime expenses for Lyme?
I heard that the surveyors were hit really hard with Lyme some years back.
I did an estimate yesterday where the homeowner was scared to walk in ivy groundcover. She had two severe cases earlier this year. My doctor is scared to walk in his backyard. It took me over a year to get over my fear of grass... less than 4% of ticks hang in grass.
I used to love the woods. I probably will have to move to get past the fear.
God Bless All,
Daniel

I'm sure your boss is a likeable guy and you get along well with him. I would be worried about going partners with a guy who is ignoring labor and tax laws, you then are on the hook for whatever indiscretions he may be up to from business standpoint. I know workers comp rates are obscene but he certainly isn't making it up to in your paycheck, by the money he is saving himself by not carrying it. Remember, you are an asset to his company and ought to be compensated properly. If he can't afford to run the company properly(carrying legally required insurance,etc.) why would you want to be a partner in that business?

Look around at the tree companies in the area and make some phone calls. Check the want ads and call. This "survey" will give you a decent idea of what the other companies are paying based upon your experience. Common laborers in your metropolitan market make more than you, unless they are illegals. A lot of them get at least partial benefits and get comp coverage. Union or municipal(of any kind of work) will easily double the figure and halve the workload.

Don't feel guilty or awkward for asking for your fair worth.

Just my Humble opinion.

I would think it would have been covered, although I don't know where I was bit, so it might have been difficult to prove it was work related... I don't know

hey mike thanks for the input I appreciate it. I'm only working weekends with my friend since the lyme disease and (i'm staying at home with our 11 month old daughter) I hope to look for full time work as soon as next spring but I'm hoping to have a game plan sooner this way if I need additional training, experience, licenses or what have you I can obtain that and become more valuable to a future employer. :D

Good to have a plan, seems like too many just jump in. Anything will be easier than taking care of the little one.:D I have my two boys, 6 and 3 all summer, so like you it is a lot of weekend work, when the wife is home. Cutting trees is so much easier than kids.

Those ticks suck. I got bit by a deer tick about 10 years back when I was in the Army. I was lucky and didn't get Lyme but that other bacterial thing that some of them carry. Sucked for about a week but then antibiotics cleared it up. (chills and fever, felt like a truck ran me over)Sounds like you got whacked pretty hard though.

Good Luck dude!

Back