Paying Dues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klickitatsacket

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Winlock, Wa. under the shadow of Mt. St. Helens
Just a little story from the shop today. I been down for the most part this week and finally got the chance to work on a R & D saw today that has been under the bench for the last 2 weeks. I have been slowly building up a Stihl 026. This is my first 026 that I have modified. When ever I modify a saw model that I have never worked on before I like to start off slowly and gradually build it up. I am currently on my 4th tear down of this particular saw. The reason I am on this particular tear down however is not because I was unhappy with my results but because it was time to pay some back dues. I sucked an injector into the cylinder. Ouch!!!! Here is the story. I started building this with the following: I decked the the cylinder, raised my transfer ports, opened up the exhaust and opened my muffler up. Next I added a boost port and a 046 carburetor. This was done gradually over time working up and not all at once. (for Crofters sake) Now on my boost ports I actually have a brass insert I use. The saw WAS running really well. Not a barn burner but a rather mild 13,800 with great torque. I was running a 20" bar with round filed chisel tooth full skip. I was going through a 16" fir log in about 7.5 seconds. Nothing great yet I realize. I was not finnished yet either. I am having an air flow problem. I will be going to a K & N filter next. I believe this will fix my problem. Any how the dues part: I hummmin' along putting on a show for the guys across the street at the auto parts store... clank, clank, clunk. I sucked the brass injector into the cylinder. :cry: The good news is that because it was brass the damage was minimal. The bad news is every one at the auto parts store had a good laugh at my expense. What happened is when I threaded for my injector I made the initial hole too big and the threads where on the light side so when the cylinder heated up; slurp, in it went. :blob2: I seem to make me the maddest at myself. (don't let I know that me was talking about him again behind his back because it will only piss myself off)Well I got the repairs done and on Monday when I get back in the shop I will put her back together and start climbing up the hill again. I hope to have the saw done this week, if I can find enough time to play. I just thought I would share this with the guys who are aspiring to become saw builders. It can get kind of expensive at times but oh baby is it worth it. :heart:

its interesting to learn how to do saw mods like this. the only truly effective way to learn is by making mistakes and learning from them.

oldsaw-addict said:
its interesting to learn how to do saw mods like this. the only truly effective way to learn is by making mistakes and learning from them.

I agree with this 100%. You can read and reread anything you can find on the subject, talking to people who have been sucessful at saw mods is exremely helpful, but there is still no substitute for actual hands on experience and just doing it. It will cost some money here and there to learn from your mistakes, it is just part of the game. I screwed a 76 up real bad, so bad that I'm kicking myself for being so stupid and not thinking a little more ahead about what I was doing.

Larry

Hi Dean, yes those 026's are really nice saws. Here's one of my first ones. Will that 42" Cannon bar fit on it that I bought from you?
Thanks,
John
02658inch.jpg

Do trees grow that big??

Out in California they have Giant Sequoia redwoods which that saw would only put a nick in.
"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Sequoia.car.arp.750pix.jpg"

Last edited:
Hey Gypo - I bet that saw weighs as much as you do!! Good looking saw!!

Klickit - good post. Keep us updated on the results. Have you though about using a high temp Loctite for the brass insert? It might help.

Mc Bob, I've seen customers using 5" bars with an end handle for a second person. They use them to cut to lenght whole units of lumber for pallet builders. The rough cut to lenght is suitible for the purpose.

Mostly I found that picture to post because so many here brag about the big trees they harvest and judging from the fact few are from the west coast its doubtful they've seen a really big tree. Those Giant Sequoias are protected these days which is a good thing. I'm no whacko tree hugger but some things should be left for all to marvel at.

Hi John, actually I have a heated cab and a pair of wheels for this one. It's my 021 stroker I use for firewooding. I call it my "turkey carver".
Dean, I have a 15" bar here somewhere for it and a picture as well.
John
021stroker.jpg

They would have loved that one for the Texas chain saw massacre.

They could have had a group carve-up !

About his original post,good for you.Most,if not all of improvements in a broad aspect of products come from the average Joe.From auto racing,we have came up with a lot of improvements in safety,fuel economy,etc.With the work ,yourself and other folks are doing,we might see the next "family" of saw engines.I might also add,the west coast gang,are pretty good at filing chains,I'll give them that.{that was meant as a compliment] I,myself would rather try at something,and fail,than not ,and complain.I also have a lot more respect for a person who attempts to build a hot engine,fast chain,custom motorcycle,hotrod,custom car,etc.,than those who lay out the money for someone else to do it for them.Then again,I'm a doer,not a watcher.Not everybody is like me.That heaven for that. :dizzy:

Gypo Logger said:
Hi Dean, yes those 026's are really nice saws. Here's one of my first ones. Will that 42" Cannon bar fit on it that I bought from you?
Thanks,
John
02658inch.jpg

It looks as if the guy is debating if he is going to moon everyone or do a pressed ham in the window.

Update: I got the 026 back together today. Before putting it back together I decided to go ahead a nd trim the skirt on the intake side. I also made a slight adjustment to the injector nozzel. She is a really nice saw. I clocked her at 14,800. I was not able to clock her in the wood because I only have 2 hands but hope to on wednesday when the kid comes into the shop after school. I ran it in a 16" diameter fir log and for the RPM pick up she has lost nothing for torque and in fact has even gain a little bit in that department. I hope to have pictures up by the end of the week when I get my computer back from the shop.

Latest posts

Back