PE vs BK vs HS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muad

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
We are currently heating our 1600sqft cabin with an old HearthStone HI or HII. It does an excellent job, and we get decent burn times. However, it's showing its age and I feel it needs the secondary combustion components replaced (I replaed the air inlet pipe this year, but the baffle is warped, etc.).

I want to start looking at replacement stoves now. I'm looking at the HearthStone Mansfield or Equinox, Pacific Energy Summit LE, and the Blaze King Ashford 30.2.

Looking for feedback from owners of each, if possible. Wood is out main source of heat, with baseboard electric being backup (we never use it). My main want in a newer more efficient stove is longer burn times.

One thing I like about the old HearthStone is the stone seems to hold heat for hours after the fire is out, and it has a spring controlled air control that lets you set the desired output setting, and then the stove runs itself (I hardly ever have to touch the inlet airflow control).

Obviously, being I love our current HearthStone, I'm leaning more towards their offering. But, would love feedback from BK and PE owners too.

Thanks!

I love my PE summit. It suits my needs perfectly. Its not a cast iron or a soap stone so the heat dosnt stick around as long... but it gets hot way faster. 10-14 burn times (coal to coal) depending on the wood i use.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Probably can't go wrong with a PE or BK. As a BK owner I can say I like the set it and forget it thermostat controlled air intake. The advertised burn times are amazing, and true. If you need to run a stove hard to heat the place then you will see shortened burn times naturally. If you can run the BK low and slow it really saves on fuel and time spent tending the stove.
Might take a look at Woodstock stoves also.

Probably can't go wrong with a PE or BK. As a BK owner I can say I like the set it and forget it thermostat controlled air intake. The advertised burn times are amazing, and true. If you need to run a stove hard to heat the place then you will see shortened burn times naturally. If you can run the BK low and slow it really saves on fuel and time spent tending the stove.
Might take a look at Woodstock stoves also.

Thanks. Our current HearthStone is always on low, and does well. I just want longer burn times. Our home is very well insulated.

Sounds like a nice cat stove will fit your needs. If you truly seek long burn times you will not find any longer than the BK stoves that I am aware of.

Thanks for the input, it's much appreciated!!

I know this is late. If you can find the mfg. EPA test docs., they do a high, medium, and low burn for what i would assume is EPA standard testing. Very well documented burn times, BTU output, wood load, procedure. It's all in their. Woodstock seems to be using the "Under sell and over deliver" method of advertised burn times compared to their EPA testing.

Latest posts

Back