Peach tree damaged by Hurricane Fiona, looking for advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodchuckcanuck

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I did get some advice here about trimming most of it off and seeing if it sprouts next year. I trimmed some off. Wondering if I should cut where I have the saw positioned in one of the pictures? Or do something else. Maybe remove and and start over? 20220925_134718-pear-tree-damage.jpg20220925_134747-pear-tree-damage.jpg20220925_134756-pear-tree-damage.jpg20220925_134811-pear-tree-damage.jpg20220925_134820-pear-tree-damage.jpg20220925_135052-pear-tree-damage.jpgAdvice appreciated.

It's very common when a fruit tree is planted too deep for the stump to rot away. The lower stem sprouts adventitious roots to survive. These roots are not structural, thus the tree leans over. That being said your main concern is not the branch tear out from the storm. It's keeping the tree upright when heavily loaded with fruit.
The recommendation is to reduce the over all size of the canopy by one third. This will also reduce stress on the damaged area.
Consider installing support bracing under limbs and practice fruit thinning to reduce weight.

Seems like you are awfully far north (too cold, and inconsistent spring weather) to grow many peaches. I'd think aboot trying a different variety or different fruit. Consider looking at your neighbors' yards to see what they grow, and talking with them to find out what works well for in your zone.

If you want to keep nursing the one you have, cut the top off just below the tear out after it goes dormant this fall and hope for the best with what is left. Hopefully it will respond with some new growth in the spring. I agree about reducing the canopy, but watch a few videos about how to do that by pruning annually to maximize the fruit production and keep the tree a manageable height.

Or try a portable peach orchard like this: https://www.hennigars.com/peaches

I've struggled to keep my peach trees healthy also (zone 5a or b, I forget)

Mine are semi dwarfs. Deer have been very detrimental to them. Fencing is a must to keep them from crawling all over them.
The soil is not very good either where they are planted.... not sure why the previous owners planted them where they did. I planted a few up closer to my pond this year in hopes of them doing better. Not so much clay around there. Hopefully the winter and deep snow doesn't get the better of them.

Latest posts

Back