Pecan tree help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horse

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I live in central Texas, and last summers drought did a number on approximately 10 out of 20 pecan trees, approximately 30' tall and 12" to 18" diameter.
I think they are dead, they lost all their leaves last summer, and some of the branches on 4 or 5 trees are falling off.
I have one tree, (my favorite) pecan tree, it had leaves on one side last summer, but none on the other side, is it dead as well. Just today I noticed it budding out about 5 feet above the trunk, as if it's trying to grow a new branch.
So I am wondering if these trees are dead, or if they have a chance to recover.

We have been getting our fair share of rain this winter and now were getting lots of 70 degree days over the last couple of weeks, that's why they are budding out early.

Should I cut them or wait? :monkey:

If there is nothing that can be harmed by them limbing and topping themselves out if they fall apart, then waiting a bit longer to see if any productive life is left in them doesn't seem like a bad idea to me.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, but it sure is a pain in the Butt picking up hundreds of sticks/limbs just prior to mowing. :chainsawguy:

Latest posts

Back