Pedistal dining table

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marklambert61

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey Team,

This maybe the wrong location for this post...

Im looking for a plan to a pedistal dining table & chairs. I have some real nice oak slabs drying just begging me to start work on them.

Please let me know if you can help...

Mark

I'm not sure where to buy plans, I've never looked. By keeping a few basic details in mind, its easy to draw up your own. Standard table height is 30 inches. Standard chair seat height is 18 inches. A comfortable minimum for seat width is 19 inches. Below is a Pedestal table I built this summer out of antique southern heart pine beams that I milled into boards with my csm. As a reference point the top is 54 inches in diameter, and the pedestal is 10 inches in diameter.

IMGP02141.jpg

Beautiful table Stonykill!! Is the tabletop removable and if so how did you attach it to the pedestal?

Stony I'm curious which way you chose to attach those legs to that center barrel.

Looks like a heavy duty table, one you could park an elephant on and it would hold up.

thanks Woodshop.

The legs are attatched to a hollowed out section on the pedestal via 3/8 studs, nuts, and lock washers. Yes the top is removable. I don't have a picture of the underside, but its a "x" that bolts to the pedestal. Very sturdy. It also had to completely disassemble to get it in the apartment it went in. Legs unbolt, top removes, to get it where it had to go.

The base is made of white oak, distressed and painted. My milled wood. The top is only sorta milled, as I don't really count milling beams as milling. Just re sawing.

Here are a couple that I have made.

First double pedestal has tenons.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The second uses bolts in the legs.

attachment.php

Most commercial table pedestals that I have have seen just use a bolt into the pedestals which, like mine are hollow.

If I build another one, I will use a sliding dovetail joint.

Last edited:
Thanks stony and mike for the info. Notice how most woodworkers, just like chainsaw and milling guys, love to share their ideas and methods? Mike thanks for those pics, I just love lookin' into other guys shops and seeing how they set things up and do stuff. I'm in the process of doing some serious re-arranging of mine at the moment to fit a small CNC router that will be arriving beginning of April (Shopbot BT32 alpha). Took the plunge in a (not so rare) moment of weakness.

that guy on woodworks makes some nice modern furniture. His stock room of lumber is amazing. Always cuts his own veneers too. Talented guy. All I don't like is his finishes. He has this great workshop full of great tools, and finishes with amateur finishes. Other than that I like the show.

The DIY guy used a hand rubbed oil finish

on this pedestal table. Pretty hard to screw that up. I havent seen his show but a time or two...always entertaining. My favorite is the WoodWrights Shop with Roy Underhill...Im partial to hand tools.... Ive just started sharpening my own hand saws...a long time saw filer has been teaching me. Its fun and a good skill to learn..

Latest posts

Back