Peeling bark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy1543

Reaction score
I have a Maple Tree in the center of my front yard. Its been there for the past 15 years. Planted when the house was built. It has begun to peel/split its bark at ground level to about 2 feet up the trunk. It is currently showing spring buds so I know it's still alive. I'm not sure if this is a natural function of the tree or it is infected by insects/disease. Is it worth saving or should it be cut down now and a different tree replanted? It's about 30 feet tall and 20 feet wide. I don't need it falling on my home during a wind storm. Thanks:dizzy:

Don't start the chainsaw just yet.

Look at the base of the tree. Does it go straight down into the ground like a telephone pole(bad), or does it have a nice flairing of the base as it enters the ground? Specifically at the point of this peeling bark/split.

What you may have is a frost crack. A little understood crack that sometimes forms on smooth barked trees, usually arising from some kind of flaw in the trunk.

If you can post an image, that would be best.

Another cause may be chronic mechanical damage from lawnmower/string trimmer.

Excavate to expose the root flare and mulch out as far you can accept aestheticly.

Latest posts

Back